How to find gaps and overlaps in the same feature class with Data Reviewer

01-31-2018 07:55 AM
ZhanShi
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a question about how to find gaps and overlaps in the same feature class (e.g. political boundary) with Data Reviewer.

The check I am using is Polygon Overlap/Gap Is Sliver (Feature on Feature Checks), and it requires me input 2 feature classes in the check window, so I input the political boundary in the Feature Class 1 and input it again in Feature Class 2. (Please see picture attached)

Is this the right way or procedure? Thank you. 

P.S.: I have a topology which I build from feature dataset in geodatabase, but in order to build it, I have to output it to shapefile because it is stored in Enterprise Geodatabase. Because my shapefile contains 40+ polygons, the topology shows some irrelevant gaps on the shape boundary, but I want the gaps and overlaps just inside the boundary. I am looking for a way to use Data Review directly for the data in my enterprise geodatabase for the 40+ polygons. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

By any chance do you have topology built for the feature class?  If so, one way potential way to go with Data Reviewer would be to use the Database Validation, Topology Rules Check function, and then import the needed Topology Rules.   If I remember correctly, those rules would be:  Must Not Overlap and Must Not Have Gaps.  However, I have not used Data Reviewer in several months, so you would need to check this.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/data-reviewer/validating-a-topology-against-to...

Chris Donohue, GISP

ZhanShi
New Contributor

Yes, I have a topology which I build from feature dataset in geodatabase, but in order to build it, I have to output it to shapefile because it is stored in Enterprise Geodatabase. Because my shapefile contains 40+ polygons, the topology shows some irrelevant gaps on the shape boundary, but I want the gaps and overlaps just inside the boundary. I am looking for a way to use Data Review directly for the data in my enterprise geodatabase for the 40+ polygons. Thank you~

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Any chance you have permission to build topology in your enterprise geodatabase/SDE?  That would help greatly.

Also, one alternative would be to export the data into a Feature Dataset in File Geodatabase (not shapefiles), then build a topology in the File Geodatabase, then run Data Reviewer (or run the rules manually).  Note - be sure to set up the Feature Dataset with the same XY Resolution and Tolerance as your enterprise geodatabase.  If any issues crop up, fix the feature classes, then go back to SDE and replace the geometry/attributes (Atttribute Transfer tool or delete/paste).  This is a longer but viable process for when a production layer resides in SDE but for various reasons the topology is not available (this is a process for several feature classes where I work).

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos