"Messy" popups in Portal for ArcGIS after updating ArcGIS Server Map Service

01-31-2018 12:31 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have shared a map service from ArcMap to my ArcGIS Server (10.5.1).

Then I created a new map in my Portal for ArcGIS, and added the maps ervice just created.

I then enabled the popup for the map service and saved the map

Everything was fine.

The problem occurred after updating the map service.

From ArcMap I overwrote the map service because I updated some features in my mxd.

When I opened the map in Portal, the map service was there showing the new/changed geometries correctly, but the popups were placed randomly (e.g. clicking a point will cause a popup of another feature to show up, not the one I clicked on).

I could fix this by removing and enabling the popups back again, but I have so many layers inside that it takes me plenty of time jut to activate all of them.

If it matters, the ArcGIS Server is NOT federated with thw Portal.

Is this a bug?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulDavidson1

Next time this happens, you might try re-indexing your Portal:

Common problems and solutions—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I think how to re-index is fairly consistent across the versions.

I have had issues when I overwrite map services.  Sometimes works just fine, sometimes not so much. 😞

I have had to delete a map service and create a new one to get changes to "stick."  (This is in 10.4.1.)

It does seem that some of these issues clear up overnight.  Which leads me to believe there are housekeeping functions that run in off hours inside Portal?

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Hi and thanks for your suggestion.

The problem seems to happen all the time I overwrite the mapservice.

I didn't try to re-index the portal yet but it wouldn't be a solution if I have to do it all the time I udapte my mapservice, as it happens quite often.

Also, deleting and publishing the service from scratch is not feasible as (as I said) I have to reconfigure plenty of popups for the many layers/sublayers I have all the time.

Is there any other solution? Is this a known bug or am I just missing something?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

I am actually testing the solution suggested in gis.stackexchange.

popup - Automating Pop up configuration of web app in ArcGIS for Portal? - Geographic Information Sy... 

Will update the thread with my findings.

0 Kudos