How do I import photos into a map tour?

Jump to solution
01-30-2018 04:49 PM
KevinFreibott
New Contributor II

In every other type of Story Map I have the ability to upload photographs directly from my computer into the application.  However, as I build a map tour I don't seem to be able to do that.  Am I correct in thinking that this is so?  If so, why does this one template not allow me to upload photographs directly when the others do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi, you can do this in Map Tour too. In fact Map Tour was the first of our apps to offer this capability. As this was the first though, we used a rather different mechanism for image upload than the more recent apps like Map Journal and Cascade: It stores your images in an ArcGIS Online feature service (which gets created for you automatically in the Map Tour builder when you choose the image upload option), so you have to be using an ArcGIS subscription (i.e. an Organizational account) with the ability to publish a feature service to create a Map Tour by uploading images.

If you are using a free Public Account or Org account without publishing capabilities, the upload option is disabled. 

Also in Map Tour, if you create your Tour from an existing point layer in a web or by importing a CSV file using the template that you can download from the Map Tour Builder, you can't upload images into that Map Tour. 

Remember that Map Tour does support images that are stored in Flickr, so if you have images in Flickr you can create a tour from them. Map Tour also reads in the names, captions and geotags from Flickr, so it can be a fast way to make a Tour.

Rupert

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi, you can do this in Map Tour too. In fact Map Tour was the first of our apps to offer this capability. As this was the first though, we used a rather different mechanism for image upload than the more recent apps like Map Journal and Cascade: It stores your images in an ArcGIS Online feature service (which gets created for you automatically in the Map Tour builder when you choose the image upload option), so you have to be using an ArcGIS subscription (i.e. an Organizational account) with the ability to publish a feature service to create a Map Tour by uploading images.

If you are using a free Public Account or Org account without publishing capabilities, the upload option is disabled. 

Also in Map Tour, if you create your Tour from an existing point layer in a web or by importing a CSV file using the template that you can download from the Map Tour Builder, you can't upload images into that Map Tour. 

Remember that Map Tour does support images that are stored in Flickr, so if you have images in Flickr you can create a tour from them. Map Tour also reads in the names, captions and geotags from Flickr, so it can be a fast way to make a Tour.

Rupert

KevinFreibott
New Contributor II

Ah ha!  That explains it.  We all have edit rights but only a select few in our organization have permission to publish.  This is troublesome but not unsurmountable.  I wish it was like other story maps though, which allow me to upload original material easily and without having to involve other people in my organization.

0 Kudos