AnsweredAssumed Answered

ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and earlier: Layer's Data Source Could Not Be Changed

Question asked by tyschwartz on Jan 31, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 by mvolz47

I am having a hard time determining why ArcGIS Pro will not let me change the data source on a feature in my map. 

The basic issue is that I have a feature layer which is a nation-wide census tracts file which I have applied a symbology to.  I want to replace the data source with a subset of the exact same data source for a more localized region so that I can retain the symbology but just replace it with a source that is just downsized (easier to display and manipulate).

The new data source is exactly the same as the old data source so I am quite puzzled why Pro will not let me change it. This is not the first time I have encountered this, and has been an issue since at least Pro 1.4...

Changing data sources is an important part of my workflow because I use projects as templates with pre-loaded demographic layers with applied symbology which I simply change the data source from project to project - makes things very efficient not to have to redo and re-apply symbology for 15 different layers - just change the source.

Anyone else run into this issue and discover a solution? 

Attachments

Outcomes