Maritime Geospatial Analysis

01-30-2018 08:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am looking to work on more analytical type of projects in maritime, beyond just charting and visualization.  Are there good resources about such projects and topics in the maritime domain?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

Hi Jacob,

It would help to know what domain you are most interested in, and what types of problems you would like to solve. For example, is it related to shipping logistics, NEPA permits, or marine ecology?  As an example of what can be done using ArcGIS tools in Ocean Science, you may also find other interesting examples at the Ocean Science section.

0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jacob - there are lots and lots of things GIS can help with outside of charting and visualisation. Like Guy pointed out it much easier to think of things when you have a problem to solve. However, in my experience working with maritime and coastguard data can have a good dosage of analytical topics including:

• The use of AIS data both as live tracking and for trend analysis
  • Offshore development impact analysis (e.g. leasing of space for offshore wind farm development which could include bathymetry considerations, traffic analysis e.g. routing, bottleneck etc..., location and type of wrecks, impact on Search and Rescue operations)
  • Risk analysis in general which might tie in with MetOcean data

I would suggest having a look at the principal organisations that deal with this type of data including the US Coastguard, UK's Maritime and Coastguard Agency, plus other nations including Canada and Europe...they will put out press releases and other public information that might give you an idea.