Land use Data off Imagery

01-30-2018 05:49 AM
JB
by
New Contributor III

Hi everyone. I have a silly question and hoping that someone could help me out. I was given some .sid and some .tiff imagery files and I am wondering if I could pull land use data off these files. If so is there a tool in the tool box that could do this? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not silly but not trivial either:  Image classification using the ArcGIS Spatial Analyst extension—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

That should just about do it....
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you have access to the Spatial Analyst extension, there are several tools available that can be used to create generalized land use polygons from the imagery.

Generalization of classified raster imagery—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Caveats:

• Whether this will be effective or not will depend heavily on the qualities of the source data you have available and what the ultimate requirements are. 
  • Also, as with any modeling, expect to have to do several iterations as different settings are tried in an attempt to tune up the results. It is unlikely this will be a "run once and be done" project.
  • Definitely Ground Truth the results.
  • If the results are for anything but casual use one would probably want to lay this out with Quality Control and Quality Assurance methodology (QA/QC).

Chris Donohue, GISP

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You posted this in 911 space... by chance, do you have a GIS department in your community, or people that deal with mapping (except yourself of course).  Some municipalities have data in that or similar forms available, even in open sourced form