save mxd, pathes not saved

01-29-2018 03:54 AM
Labels (1)
ThorstenBrune1
New Contributor II

try to save mxd, relative pathes are set. When i reopen mxd the pathes are not saved (look at video)

What is the reason? Can I change preferences? is it a Bug?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can't watch video, relative paths means

• that your data are in the same folder as the the mxd or  ie c:\your_path\your.mxd
  • in a folder within that folder... ie c:\your_path\yourdata\my.gdb
  • If your data are elsewhere, then the paths are not relative ie c:\yourdata\my.gdb
0 Kudos
ThorstenBrune1
New Contributor II

I have load the video as mp3 data.Can you see it?

I know the meaning of relative pathes, but problem is, that the data source is not here even if I save the mxd. Pathes are the same.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Apparently it is 'encoding'

perhaps, you could write down the paths in a similar fashion to my example to expedite matters.

And to confirm... saving with relative paths, does nothing with the data if just the mxd is moved... everything has to be moved at the same time.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Are you storing the MXD on the same drive as where the data resided?

Only paths on the same disk are converted
Relative paths cannot span disk drives. That is, if the root directory is on drive D, you cannot use relative paths to navigate to a directory on drive E. When you store your map document using relative paths, only those paths that are on the same drive are converted and stored.

See: Paths explained: Absolute, relative, UNC, and URL—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

ThorstenBrune1
New Contributor II

path is easy. mxd is in GIS-FOLDER. Geo Database is in the same folder. Drive is the same, nothing changes in folders for nearly a year. We dont copy mxd or geodatabase.

0 Kudos