Coordinate system conversion

01-27-2018 08:58 PM
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

I am a beginner at ArcGIS and i do have a question related to coordinate system conversion.

I just need to convert coordinates from WGS84 UTM 37S to ARC 1960? I know that is horizontal conversion.  My question is do i still have to do vertical datum transformation though i am concerned with equivalent horizontal coordinates?  Another thing is i would do the WGS84 37S to ARC 1960 projection in Arcmap 10.3.  But the vertical transformation in Geographic Calculator software.  Is that correct?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Ron

(U.A.E.)

0 Kudos
20 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You need to do a projection using the Project tool 

A list of vertical transformations that are supported can be found in the Geographic datum transformation link.  (Equivalent documentation exists for 10.3)

RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Thank you Dan for your response.  I appreciate it and thanks for the link of 

"ArcGIS 10.6.0 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Geographic and Vertical Transformation Tables"

So is there a need for a vertical transformation?

As a beginner i am swamped with the long list.  Could you be able to explain further how the table will be used in my transformation task?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If your concern is with the horizontal, then there should be no need.  The various horizontal transformations are provided in the link that I sent.  At the bottom of the page is a link to a pdf which shows those that are directly supported.  If you were offered a horizontal transformation transformation then you could it

0 Kudos
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Thank you for your help Dan.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No problem Ron, hope it all works out

0 Kudos
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

I have a follow up question regarding this coordinate transformation. 

I made a simple test.

I made one sample point in a shapefile  with CS of WGS84 37S and imported it in ArcMap.

I set the dataframe's CS to Arc 1960 37S and calculated the point's X and Y into additioanal fields in the attribute table  using geometry calculator and using dataframe's CS.

The value i a getting from the above is different from the value i get when i use project tool.

I am expecting they should be the same values.  I did one excercise 2 months back and arrived at the same value.

Is there any known discrepancies between the two methods?  I know that i should trust the project tool more.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ron

(U.A.E.)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

How different? If they are in the order of 10s or 100s or meters, then a datum shift is not being applied.  If none was offered, then the 60's one may not exist within arcmap.

I will flag MKennedy-esristaff‌ (just another easy one Melita )

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you use the Calculate Geometry option on the fields? Was it set to use the data frame's coordinate system? If so, did you set the transformation in ArcMap? If not, open data frame properties, select the coordinate systems tab and click the Transformations button. 

If the data frame is Arc 1960, in the top box, select WGS 1984. Click the pull-down at the bottom and select the same transformation that you used in the Project Tool.

RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Thank you Melita for your response.

So it is the transformation button i am missing. I got now the same value with the project tool.  Thanks.

Do I have to set it everytime i calculate geometry using dataframe's coordinate system?

I was thinking that reprojection is 'on the fly' so i do not have to set any transformation using the calculate geometry method.

Regards,

Ron

0 Kudos