01-29-2018 08:21 AM
deleted-user-4ympgHKYfQv_
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm planning a three machine setup of ArcGIS Enterprise:

1. Base Deployment of AGE

2. Spatiotemporal DS

3. GeoAnalytics Server

Clients shall have access to GeoAnalytics Server capabilities via ArcGIS Pro. 

I found this:

If your Portal for ArcGIS organization will use a premium app, such as ArcGIS Pro or Drone2Map for ArcGIS, you will also need ArcGIS License Manager 10.6 to configure your premium app licenses to specify which members can use the software.

But I couldn't get any further information. 

What I really want to know is if I need a fourth machine just for deployment of the LM or can it be installed on the same machine as the Base Deployment?

Thanks and BR

Carsten

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

The license manager is very lightweight. You don't need an additional machine just to host the LM.

RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Note that the LM isn't a hard requirement - users can also retrieve licenses from an ArcGIS Online Organization.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To add to that, although the LM can technically run on a desktop (not server) OS, I would recommend a server just because it typically doesn't get shutdown or rebooted as often.   As Randall mentioned, very light weight.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-4ympgHKYfQv_
New Contributor II

Thanks. Any best practice on which of my machines mentioned the LM should be installed?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't know that it matters, as long as it is always available.  We actually have 3 LM (virtual) servers that pretty much only have the LM software on it (i.e. each is dedicated).  That way we can reboot those individually, but not be affected by reboots of the Server software.  We have 3 because we wanted to 1) isolate license that can be borrowed for offline use (Desktop) and the option file never works to the degree we need for this; 2) one for the general gis users, and 3) for the GIS fulltime staff.

So, we do have them separate from our base software, but it isn't absolutely necessary.  Again, it could be run on a lightweight desktop OS, it doesn't have to be a server os, but in our office it tends to be auto-booted less if its a server.

BTW - we also have some concurrent Pro licenses on the LM (i.e. more local that using ArcGIS Online named user).  But they haven't been used much, yet.