Why did my information delete after saving it?

01-24-2018 04:27 PM
JuliaAbbatangelo
New Contributor

I was working on the ArcGIS story map program and I created 4 cascades on my story. After I finished the project, I saved my work and got out of the program. However, when I went back on to check my project a few hours later, 3 out of 4 cascades had all the information missing, except for the titles. If anyone can provide any help with this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

26 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Julia -- I'm sorry you had trouble with your story maps. We haven't been able to reproduce any issues with saving stories. If your internet connection drops you should get a message that your story hasn't been saved. If you try to close a tab where you have unsaved changes in your story you should get a pop-up message that lets you return to the builder and save your changes.

Did you have all four stories open at once (in different browser tabs)? If so, you'd need to make sure that you were saving each story individually.

I hope this doesn't happen again, but if you are able to reproduce specific steps where your story appears to be saving but isn't please let us know.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JuliaAbbatangelo
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply! My story map consisted of four different sections

but it was all in one story map cascade. Also, the work that disappeared

wasn't work I just did prior to it disappearing. It was work from days

before which was saved many times and viewed after without any problems.

The part that confused me is where it gives me the option to view or edit

my work in the 'My Stories' section. Where it shows all of my links for

photos, it shows which section they can be found in, which I'm sure you

already know. Sections 1,3, and 4 were the ones that disappeared but it

says those pictures can still be found in those particular sections. It's

like the work is still there but it's hidden somehow. However, thanks for

the suggestions and the help!

Julia

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Julia -- Could you please share the item id of the story map that is giving you trouble so we can investigate? You can copy the item id from the URL on the item page, for example:

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
EmilyAnderson1
New Contributor

Hi I am also having this problem. I am a teacher and several of my students have lost their entire final projects. With the StoryMaps auto-save and no undo, it is a really difficult platform to use with students. Do you have any suggestions for recovering slides?

MelissaDollman
New Contributor III

I too am having this exact problem. I save -- and now double-check after every new image I add -- and still I open it today and half is missing.

0 Kudos
LuyangRen
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am wondering if you found any causes of this issue or solutions? We are having similar issues occasionally.  Thank you

Luyang

0 Kudos
SamuelEbersole
New Contributor II

I created two new Cascades yesterday afternoon, saved them, and reviewed them later that day. This morning they are not in my list of Storymaps. I've begun to recreate them, but not sure if I should expect the one created yesterday to reoccur.

thank you-

Sam

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Sam, 

Are you seeing the new Cascades you created yesterday not show up in My Stories in https://storymaps.arcgis.com or in your Content in your ArcGIS Online organization? Do you remember some more specifics: 

1. Which browser - Safari or Chrome or Firefox?

2. Did you author the templates using Create > Using a template in Content or using My Stories > Create a story > Cascade?

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
SamuelEbersole
New Contributor II

I am no longer seeing them in My Stories. I was/am using Chrome. I created using My Stories > Create a story > Cascade.

Sam

0 Kudos