Accessing a third party API from an Esri web app

Jump to solution
01-23-2018 02:02 PM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. We are trying to display the number of available parking lot spaces in our Local Government Public Parking web app solution (built using ArcGIS Pro; the app is configured in Web AppBuilder as part of Esri's solution).  We would like to have the space count display when the app opens (as in the screen shot or similar).  We have installed a space counter sign for one of our parking lots and are testing it and gathering public feedback. The parking vendor can provide the parking space count data.  We can retrieve the count data through their API (they have provided the API key, etc.).  Thus, we would like to add the parking space counts to our GIS public parking app (and perhaps elsewhere on our city's website).  I have been able to activate the link in pop-ups or an Information widget, but one has to click on the link, which opens another page to display the count.  Obviously, it would be much more convenient for the user to have the count show automatically when the app is opened, then click on a link and jump to another web page.  I am hoping someone can point us in the right direction.  Many thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayHodny

Hi all.  The third party URL is REST.  We are able to pull the available space data from the vendor database through their API.  Then with a Python script we can now push the parking space count to our web maps and apps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey,

Adding the https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/web-appbuilder?sr=search&searchId=a0e76411-7e03-4f2...‌ space.

What kind of a url has the third party provided you with? 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

As Kelly has asked what type of API access do you have (i.e. is is SOAP or REST)?

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Robert,

I have asked the vendor as to what type of URL API access is used, I have not heard back. We are assuming it is REST based on our testing.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

If it is REST then you are in great shape. You can use esriRequest to call the API and return your data app. I do this a lot in my WAB and custom JS API apps.

JayHodny

Robert,

Thanks, we will work on this later today!

Jay

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi all.  The third party URL is REST.  We are able to pull the available space data from the vendor database through their API.  Then with a Python script we can now push the parking space count to our web maps and apps.