Display an alternate geometry for some lines

01-18-2018 07:40 AM
deleted-user-r12oOPKQjs2J
New Contributor III

Hello !

I’m working with a line feature class in a file geodatabase.

I’m need to store an alternative geometry for some of the lines.

I need to be able to display

• either all the original geometries
  • or the mix between original and alternative geometries.

Can this be done with geodatabase representations?

Your answers and hints will be much appreciated!

In the first screen shot below, one line is hidden by the other.

In the second screen shot, the line has been represented with an offset but I've lost the original geometry.

I need something like an alternate geometry...

Tim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are they 2 distinct records/features in the geodatabase?  If so, it sounds like you could symbolize the alternate geometry with a thicker line width than the original.  Or I am completely missing something

New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your answer which will help me to define my request better.

That would work if I had only two entities but this is just a subset for the example. If I modify the symbol, all other lines with the same symbol would get modified. So nor width, nor a symbol offset would work.

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Some of your lines have an alternate geometry and some don't, is my take.  I guess my proposal was for the case where alternate geometries are records in the same geodatabase paired with the existing geometry (either as sequential records, or via a 'key' or other ID)

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

To build on what Dan Patterson suggested, one could create a field in the feature classes (for example, name the field LineType) and then attribute each line as either "original" or "alternate", then symbolized differently based on these two.  A layer file (.lyr) could be used to keep the symbology consistent if there are multiple feature classes. 

Then for situations where you only want to display the original lines, one could use a Definition Query to limit the display.  Displaying a subset of features in a layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

One could copy the feature classes in the Table of Contents and have one set to show all lines and the other set with a Definition Query to just show the original lines.  Then for viewing the two potential situations, turn on one or the other.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hello Chris,

Thank you. Yes that would be a solution.
I need to publish the map on ArcGIS Server and it might take a work around to display simple non offset symbols in the table of contents...

That's why I was thinking of alternate geometries...

0 Kudos