Curvature TIFF outputs not matching up

01-26-2011 07:17 AM
SarahSchwarzer
New Contributor
I'm trying to run curvatures on a TIFF and the resulting plan numbers do not seem correct when output as a tiff. When I run the same process and output as a GRID the results seem plausible.

The TIFF results in a high of 3.40282e+038 and low of 1.17549e-038 while the GRID is 1.14417 to -1.57203 respectively. I used the default z value, and the environments are the same. The curvature and profile outputs appear to be the same whether output as a TIFF or GRID.

Converting the plan GRID to a TIFF later gives the same result. I need the outputs in TIFF so they can be used as inputs to TauDEM 5.0.

This is my first time posting, and I'm not very ARC savvy, so I apoligize if I'm leaving out any pertinent information.

Thank you for any help!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SarahSchwarzer
New Contributor
I can't seem to edit this again, so I'll respond with the other information I've found. I ran DIFF and there were no differences between the TIFF and GRID, though they are showing such a different range. I suppose that means I can use the plan TIFF, though I'm still concerned. Any comments would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
John_WirkolaDirksen
New Contributor
Hi

This is also my first time posting ever. I am also new in ArcGIS. I write to you not because I have an answer but because I have the same problem with my curvature values as you have, though my values are smaller than yours (-198 +166) As I understod the explanation for curvature the values should be between -4 and +4 in rough terrain and less in flatter terrain. Have you figured out something?

If I change the cell size from 1m to 10m the values becomes smaller and the curvatures more detailed.

I am also working with the TauDEM toolbox, maybe we are working with simmilar projects? I am trying to detect swamp forests from a DTM derived from LiDAR, curvature might be of importance for me in that concern.

Best greetings

John
0 Kudos