Sign-in prompt randomly appearing in locally hosted public storymap

Jump to solution
01-17-2018 02:46 PM
VictoriaBeckley1
New Contributor II

I'm working on a storymap to share with the public and started off by creating a journal storymap hosted on Arcgis online. I configured the application so that all layers, webmaps, and premium services were public, and so far we have successfully shared the storymap with the public with no sharing issues.

I realized it would be better to have both a mobile and desktop version, so I followed the steps in this blog by Cooper Thomas. I created a mobile version of the storymap, I then hosted the compiled version of the application (1.13.1) on my webserver and added the necessary code to make it responsive and point to my two storymaps. All went well.

Upon testing this I found that two sections of my storymap are randomly prompting sign-in (see images). I would assume this had to do with a layer or premium service that hasn't been shared, BUT it seems like that is not the case because the random prompting only happen in the storymaps that are shared on my webserver. When I access them via arcgis online (signed out and in incognito window) the prompt does not appear.

Any ideas about whats happening? My IT department couldn't find any initial indicators. It doesn't happen for every section, and it only sometimes happens to the two I've seen it in. It also occurs when I access the webserver link on my phone, but not every time I move to one of those two sections. Also when I select cancel on the sign-in window I am able to proceed.

I am wondering if this is the same issue described in this conversation. Also I saw that in the 1.12.1 release of the journal app there was a fix: "Addressed an issue with cookies that eliminates several unexpected login prompts and redirect loops". Could that be the same issue I'm experiencing? 

Here's the storymap on my webserver

Here's the mobile version on arcgis online, and the desktop version in arcgis online

And the error is shown below (also attached).

Thank you,

Victoria

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Victoria -- Sorry you are having an issue with your Map Journal. I believe the issue you are having is that the builder only authorizes subscription layers for the story hosted on arcgis.com, and that authorization is not valid if the story map app is hosted on your own server.

I believe you'll need to add any subscription/premium content (like the World Traffic Service that is in the map in that section prompting for a login) as a new layer item and save your credentials with that item. Then you'll add that new layer item to your web map that's used in your story. That should authorize the content for the story hosted on your own server. See this blog for more info on how to do this in the "using subscriber content in embedded web maps" section.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Victoria -- Sorry you are having an issue with your Map Journal. I believe the issue you are having is that the builder only authorizes subscription layers for the story hosted on arcgis.com, and that authorization is not valid if the story map app is hosted on your own server.

I believe you'll need to add any subscription/premium content (like the World Traffic Service that is in the map in that section prompting for a login) as a new layer item and save your credentials with that item. Then you'll add that new layer item to your web map that's used in your story. That should authorize the content for the story hosted on your own server. See this blog for more info on how to do this in the "using subscriber content in embedded web maps" section.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
VictoriaBeckley1
New Contributor II

Incredible, yes that was the issue.