Public Notificaton Zoom & Configure

01-17-2018 08:13 AM
CCWeedcontrol
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying out the new Public Notification Widget. One thing i noticed is that when you do a search it zooms in to close to the feature and if you apply the buffer you can see the buffer but there is no zoom out to the buffer. I have set the zoom scale to 100,000 but no matter what i change it to, it doesn't seem to affect the zoom at all. Can this be changed?

Another thing i noticed is that i have to add a copy of the same layer in order for the Public Notification widget to create a listing with just certain fields i want. For example i have parcel layer that i have configured the popup in a map in ArcGIS online. If i try to use this layer in the Public Notification i get what i configured in the ArcGIS online map witch is about 20 fields. I just want owner name, mailing address, city & zip. So what i have had to do is add another copy of that parcel layer and configure the popup in the same map in ArcGIS online with just the owner name, mailing address, city & zip. Then when i run the Public Notification widget i have to select the copy of the parcel layer. It would be nice to be able to select what fields you want to include from the source layer. Am going going about this the wrong way, am i missing something?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Currently, the search zooms to the search result and if you apply a search distance it not reset to the buffered shape extent.  You'll have to use the manual zoom controls available with Web AppBuilder.

The Public Notification uses the custom popup configuration, not the fields from the feature layer - by design.  This way, you can have multiple mailing label configurations based on the same layer.  

AndrewLand2
New Contributor

Chris, can you take this reply and go one step further and provide some context for related table support?  I've yet to be able to retrieve related table records for mailing labels with the WAB Public Notifications Widget.  I know in some cases with certain templates / widgets there are dependencies on primary and foreign keys being based on globalid's / guids.  I've tried relationships built on globalid / guid primary and foreign keys, user managed string fields, user managed integer fields, to no avail when attempting to retrieve related table records as an addressing source.  Any configuration notes or support for this functionality would be greatly appreciated.  The online documentation only references the option to use related table records, but offers no implementation support. 

0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

Yesterday, we officially released a new version the Public Notification application (using the Public Notification widget). This app gives you the common patterns for deploying the solution in your organization.  With this solution, we also include a new Site Address layer, including related Postal Addresses in a table.  

Public Notification | ArcGIS for Local Government 

You can deploy this application using our Solutions Deployment tool, or follow the manual deployment steps.

Example popup for a related set of addresses (on the source Address Feature Layer): 

CCWeedcontrol

The zoom to buffer should be an added feature or at least be able to set the zoom scale to both. I can't get the 'zoom scale' on the Search and Buffer tab.

So basically i would have to have two layers like i am doing or create a whole new dedicated app for Notification.

0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

1. Yes, the auto-zoom to the extent of the buffer is not included in the app - that would be a nice enhancement and we'll add it to our backlog.

2. Not sure creating a new app or adding multiple layers is related to #1 - is there something else that I'm not understanding?  

The app requires you to configure a custom popup for each layer, even if they are the same source.  For example, imagine that you have a owner address (postal address) and site address on a Parcel layer - you may want to configure a layer that uses the owner name 1 and 2 fields as the first line of the address, and another layer sourced from the same underlying feature layer configured to anonomize the site address information with "Occupant", so that the notification goes to the physical address for who needs to be notified.

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

2. So i have a map on arcgis online that has a parcel layer that uses 'A list of Attributes" as the configured popup. I use this layer on my main application. Currently if i use this layer in the Public Notification i don't have the option to select the parcel layer in the 'Layer to use to select addressee layers' tab. In order for this layer to show up in the 'Layer to use to select addressee layers' tab i have to change the parcel layers configured popup to 'a custom attribute display'. If i change this layers popup I lose the parcel layers original list of attributes in the application, which i don't want to lose the 'list of Attributes' i set because this display all the info of the parcel when users click on a parcel.

0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor

Understood - my recommendation is to NOT use the parcel layer as the main layer in the app, use it as a "reference layer" in the map.  That way it will still show up if someone want's to get more info, but it's not used as an addressee layer.

Just make a copy in the webmap and configure the popup, keep the old one in the map.

CCWeedcontrol

Right, which is what i have done. IMO this seems like extra steps, it would be nice to just use one layer and be able to select the fields you want for the mailing list. I do appreciate the Public Notification Widget.

0 Kudos