Server, SQL, and ESRI Upgrades

01-15-2018 07:46 AM
AprilChipman
Occasional Contributor III

Our IT department is planning a large server and software upgrade and have asked me to determine how the ESRI software will be impacted. 

We are currently running ArcGIS for Server Standard version 10.3.1 (build 4959) on a Windows 2012 R2 machine. The database server is running SQL Server 2012.

IT would like to make the jump all the way to Windows Server 2016 and upgrade the database server to SQL Server 2016 as well.

According to this documentation: Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  I cannot run my current version of ArcGIS Server (10.3.1) on the proposed Windows Server and SQL 2016 update. Due to related software restrictions, I cannot upgrade my ESRI software to anything higher than 10.4.1.

I would rather not upgrade my ESRI software (both ArcGIS Server and ArcMap) at the same time as the big Windows and SQL server upgrades. (Changing too many things at once is just a disaster waiting to happen.) But, the documentation suggests that I am going to have to do so.

Do I have to upgrade at the same time? Can I keep my current configuration for a week or two after the IT upgrade and then only upgrade my ESRI software when the server upgrade has sorted itself out? Or should I upgrade ESRI before IT upgrades the server?

0 Kudos
0 Replies