How can I convert coverages to something I can use in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
01-09-2018 08:34 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

I have coverages that my users in education downloaded from FAO... but they only have Pro and not ArcMap. How can they convert these coverages to something they can use in ArcGIS Pro?  ... such as a shapefile or a gdb feature class?

Thank you.

--Joseph Kerski 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Here's a "Pro" tip I learned from Steve Lynch (Esri) today - use the Copy Features GP tool and for the Input Features parameter, type the full coverage path including the geometry to convert.  Then define our Output Feature Class parameter to be a shapefile or gdb feature class.  Voila!  Coverage vector data converted with the core application.

Convert Coverage to GDB FC

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pro doesn't cover coverages and as you indicate you don't have arcmap.

Are you sure FAO only publishes coverages? Is there no other data source?

Maybe if you publish the link people could troll around for comparables for you.  Otherwise, pre-converting and hosting somewhere may be an option if the data are mission-critical

ADDENDUM

They have there own portal

http://www.fao.org/geonetwork/srv/en/main.home?uuid=ac02a460-da52-11dc-9d70-0017f293bd28

and I also checked FAO , searched on 'shapefile' got a gazillion hits

http://www.fao.org/search/en/?cx=018170620143701104933%3Aqq82jsfba7w&q=shapefile&cof=FORID%3A9&siteu...

perhaps you could specify the dataset that is needed rather than the 'coverage' aspect of the problem

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The Data Interoperability Extension for Desktop would be one possible solution as it converts most Esri formats to *.gdb or *.shp.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is Feature Class to Feature Class—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop not working?

Summary

Converts a shapefile, coverage feature class, or geodatabase feature class to a shapefile or geodatabase feature class.

Think Location
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Here's a "Pro" tip I learned from Steve Lynch (Esri) today - use the Copy Features GP tool and for the Input Features parameter, type the full coverage path including the geometry to convert.  Then define our Output Feature Class parameter to be a shapefile or gdb feature class.  Voila!  Coverage vector data converted with the core application.

Convert Coverage to GDB FC

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Cool! undocumented stuff is the best.  Does the path have significance ?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Very cool undocumented workflows!  The path to piracy begins with yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum!  😉

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I thought it might have been an 'R workspace'

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

That's awesome!  I conducted a Lesson Review for one of classes years ago that happened to fall on "International Talk Like a Pirate Day."   I pulled up the Mighty Google and used the English to Pirate translator to properly phrase my questions.  It was aaarrrr-guably the best lesson review of the day.

0 Kudos
ElizabethZizzamia1
New Contributor III

Hello and thank you to Robert! I am using this method to convert a large dataset of coverages across mulitiple directories. I found using wildcard naming conventions useful in sorting throughthe outputs. This is a nice article on that!  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/help/analysis/geoprocessing/modelbuilder/inline-variable-subst...