Best Workflow for Updating File Geodatabase Tables

01-05-2018 12:06 PM
ZacharyLehmann
New Contributor III

Hi all,

So I'm volunteering for a park conservancy and helping them build a web app to track some data about their efforts in and around the park. The app side is easy enough. All the data they want displayed is in an Access database. Currently I have saved exports for all the table the app needs. When they update the DB they just run those preset exports and I'm left with a folder of Excel tables formatted to match what the app needs. 

The problem I'm having and can't seem to find a solution to in my forum searches is how to go about updating the tables in the file geodatabase I'm using with these excel tables without having to re-import/delete them and hopefully allow them to keep the same relationship class. Does anyone know of a way to do this better than this? I really just want to save over the current tables in the geodatabase with the new ones.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AmyNiessen
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Zachary Lehmann‌! I'm trying to see who might be able to assist you with this question, but in the meantime, feel free to cross post your question in the Geodatabase community, if you haven't already.

0 Kudos
AmyNiessen
Esri Regular Contributor

Also, check the following post and see if you're able to find any useful information: https://community.esri.com/thread/95270 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm  a little confused since you mention an access database and then excel, and all of the sudden you need to update a file gdb...

At any rate, what if you build a model that deletes the rows from your file geodatabase and then append the new data into the empty space.  You don't mention if it's tables or feature classes, but that's an approach I've taken before.  Don't delete the table or featureclass, just the rows or the features...

Deleting records in a table—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Delete Features—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

That should just about do it....
ZacharyLehmann
New Contributor III

Sorry maybe I can explain it better. Basically there is an Access database that houses all of the data the group uses. I have saved exports which can put updated data into four excel tables that I had been importing into the file geodatabase as tables. But it seems to break the relationships on the webapp side of things when I do that. It sounds like your method would probably do the trick. I was hoping there was a way I could just link/relate the tables in the geodatabase to the excel tables but I haven't been able to find a way of just "refreshing" those tables.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I avoid any use of ArcGIS and Excel like the plague.  Webapps, updating data, and relationships sounds problematic to me, but I'm not a web app guy.  Good luck!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos