Can you edit annotation in ArcPro?

01-04-2018 07:55 AM
ChristineVandeyar-Wise1
New Contributor

Testing ArcPro but I can't find any help topics to show adding annotation toolbar and/or editing of annotation.

Does anyone know if ArcPro version 2.01 provides and where to activate editing annotation?

Tags (2)
11 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe this will help

Modify annotation features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Think Location
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I know you can edit annotation in ArcGIS Pro but unlike ArcMap there is no toolbars for editing (generally).  Another item to consider is from the ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Help (2.1 is coming very soon):

Annotation storage

If you have annotation feature classes created in ArcMap, you can view and query them. However, to edit them or modify their properties, you must upgrade them.

Learn more about the Upgrade Dataset tool

This is important to note that once you upgrade your ArcMap annotation to Pro annotation, it's no longer usable in ArcMap.  Thus you may wish to make a copy of it in your gdb - one for ArcMap and one for ArcGIS Pro.

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Is there a particular reason why the upgraded annotation is not even viewable in ArcMap?  I made the mistake of not backing it up before I realized the fact that I could no longer view the annotation in my map services either (since they are still created using ArcMap).  Having two versions of the same annotation is certainly not ideal either.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
WendyHarrison
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

We've changed how they are stored.  See the help topics below

Annotation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

this one has a nice chart that outlines where different versions of annotation can be used and how

Upgrade Dataset—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I understand that, but my question is why?  Having new functionality is great and I totally understand the inability to edit in ArcMap, I just don't understand why I can't even view the annotation in ArcMap.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

The annotation model in ArcGIS Pro has been updated to take advantage of the updated symbolization and text capabilities in ArcGIS Pro. ArcMap doesn't support all these capabilities and any attempt at supporting the format in ArcMap would result in potential for lost data, which could be seen as data corruption by some. For that reason, we've decided to make a clean break between formats. We'll be supporting this new annotation model through more of the ArcGIS Platform in the future starting with ArcGIS Runtime.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Josh - this is a known limitation when one upgrades annotation to AGP annotation. There is a workaround you might consider in order to use it in ArcMap and eventually republish to map services.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can annotation stored in an SDE database where it can be editied in Pro be exported out to a file gdb so the annotation can still be available to ArcMap?  Or is annotation for Pro only allowed to be stored in an SDE database?

Josh - On another thread you said hosting the annotation from an AGOL layer did not work.  Can you go into more detail about how this does not work as a workaround to this problem?

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

That's an interesting idea if it works, would provide an acceptable workaround.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos