slow performance due to too many layers

01-02-2018 10:35 AM
GISAdmin41
New Contributor II

Hello,

I work for a small homeowner's association that manages much of their communities utilities. They sort of function as a quasi-government agency. Anyway, they have these old plat maps with a lot of hand-written notes that they want to make available to their field tech via ArcGIS Online (either through a web map or web app - I offer both).

Here's the situation: Because many of the plat maps overlap, I don't have the option to merge them all and just create a new base map out of them (though that would be ideal). Well, I could, but it would be a LOT of work cleaning up mis-matched stuff and all that hand-written stuff. So I've just been geo-referencing each one and putting them up on AGOL. Then I add them to a map and an app that are both accessed by various personnel. I have all the JPEGs turned off to begin with. When a user navigates to their location, based on the parcel unit number, they can scroll down to the appropriate plat map and turn it on to overlay it onto an aerial (or whatever other data they need).

So far, so good. My problem is: I have about 123 plat maps to upload. I've gotten 102 finished, but the map/app loads very slowly. It functions fine once the map or app is loaded, but the initial upload takes a super long time.

What would you all suggest to quicken that initial load?

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you publishing the layers as feature layers or tile layers? Are the services hosted in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Server or a different layer type?

Are you able to share the web map?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
GISAdmin41
New Contributor II

Hello Kelly,

The layers are published as tile layers and are hosted on ArcGIS Online. Unfortunately, due to company policy, I cannot share the web map. Would providing some screen shares help?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey,

I'd suggest getting in contact with technical support to really look into the issue. How many layers are in the web map?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
GISAdmin41
New Contributor II

Currently, just 99, three of those feature layers, the majority a bunch of jpegs. I'll contact support. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Were you able to find any kind of work around for this?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos