Setting SDE connection to feature class for multiple users

12-28-2017 02:07 PM
JoelThomas
New Contributor II

Hello, so I want to deploy my python add-in for any of the users to use, and I have my connection to a SDE feature class hardcoded in the script , which works fine. I got this connection from ArcCatalog. 

C:\Users\jthomas\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcCatalog + featureClass

Now if someone else installs the add-in, they'll have their own connection to the SDE feature class. How can I ensure other users will be able to reach this feature class, and the script won't break?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can use the connection like this assuming that the other users used the same name for the connection: 

sde = r'Database Connections\Name of your Connection.sde'

You can also provide the sde file with toll applying a relative folder structure (see this page: Paths explained: Absolute, relative, UNC, and URL—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop ), but then for instance in case of Oracle you would need the same named entry in the tnsnames.ora file at that users site. 

Or include the connection as a parameter in the tool and let the user select the connection and validate is the required data is accessible. Many options, all depend on how your organization has designed its infrastructure. 

JoelThomas
New Contributor II

Thanks Xander, I think I only have to safeguard against 2 situations: A local installation where the connection would be : C:\Users\jthomas\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcCatalog\database.sde

db = sqlserver

and then a citrix installation where the ArcMap version is the same (10.2), but Catalog is 10.0, which means the connection is:

C:\Users\jthomas\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcCatalog\Connection to database.sde

db = sql server

So the version number is changing, and the end of the string changes from "database.sde" to "connection to database.sde". 

I guess I could add a button that toggles the connection string, but I was hoping for a good way to detect the environment, and then just use the proper connection. 

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I suppose you should be able to access the connection file in both cases using: 

'Database Connections\Name of your Connection.sde'

0 Kudos
JoelThomas
New Contributor II

One would think, but this is the core of my problem. if I just put 'Database Connections\dbname.sde', the other one will error out (the one with 'Connection to dbname.sde'). I'll keep digging.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't like to rely on chance or user behavior for my scripts to work.  In this case, I would use Create Database Connection—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to build a connection file that you know works.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Depending on if you need specific user permissions or not, you may try the suggestion to create a .sde connection that will work for all  and include it in the addin...you can refer to it with a relative path.

Or create a common one and have it located in a secure location on you network where all can reach and point to that .sde connection.

i have used both methods successfully, and it all just depends on the the permissions needed to access the data and what permissions the addin require.