AnsweredAssumed Answered

Failed to get administrator token from Portal. Please verify that the Portal URL specified can be accessed successfully.

Question asked by Jpock1976 on Dec 27, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 by DaveThompson101

We upgraded from 10.4.1 to 10.5.1

Server first.  Then installed the 10.5.1 web adapter. 

I could not connect to the portal web site, and so I've beentrying to figure that out.  I decided based on reading a bunch of pieced together articles that I should maybe unregister the web adapter and re register it.  It WILL NOT work.  I've tried everything I can think of.

Failed to get administrator token from Portal. Please verify that the Portal URL specified can be accessed successfully.

I can access the portal by https://machinename:7443/arcgis/home

My portals name is not "arcgis"  So already this is confusing to me.  I have no idea also where these things are hosted from as there are no directories in my default web site, yet if I stop the site in iis I can no longer access it.  I guess its just arcgis magic. 

I pointed to this default web site when I installed the web adapter and gave it a portal name of xxxxhome. xxxxhome now exists as a sub application in my default website. When I am registering the web adapter I have been trying all sorts of combinations. The help tooltip only says to enter the URL of my portal and that it MUST be done using FQDN.  Thats fine because I have one configured I can use which is accessible both from the outside and local. I have also tried making a generic FQDN in my hosts file as another option. That also doesnt work.  The hint shows its using https...  :7443.   It doesn't indicate why its using 7443 of IF I need to do it the same way. But trying that it doesnt work either.  We had this set up and working before we upgraded.  When I set it up the first time I was able to use the made up "local" name from my hosts file just fine.  Now it doesnt work.  I can only assume this is all because of upgrading.  Very frustrating.  It took me way too much time in the fiest place just to get this thing running. Holy ****. Every single task I would do was error after error, google after google stumbling my way through.  It should not be so difficult. I know I'm being a little negative and I appologize. I'm just not sure what else to try short of uninstalling and reinstalling everything.  If I do that, how can I ensure I wont lose all my portal content?  Can anyone give me any more ideas?

Outcomes