How do I share a web app without cluttering the group?

12-27-2017 09:32 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We had a web app that wasn't working for certain users. Turned out that the web map in it was not shared with the appropriate group - only the app was shared (Rookie mistake).

So, we shared the map with the group and now everything works, but the group is getting cluttered, because when you share anything with a group, it becomes visible to everyone in the group.

I fear this question is dumb, but I'm spinning my wheels. Is it possible to make the "parts" of a web app invisible so that when a user goes to a group, they only see the web apps?

I could make a gallery app from the group, but that reproduces the problem - too many items visible in the group.

I have administrative privilege, and can use an app no matter where it is, but other folks can only access particular groups they are invited to.

Thank you for any insight you may be able to provide.

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Asking a question gets the juices flowing... I am wondering if I need to create two (or more) groups - One for web apps and one for everything the web apps depend on (like web maps).

I invite users to both groups, but share subcomponents only with one group, and web apps with another.

I can make a gallery of the "web app only" group.

Does this sound feasible?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Randy, 

Are all your users in the same organisation? Is it feasible to share the layers/webmaps with the organisation and then only share the web app with the group?

Otherwise your suggestion above to use 2 groups will also work - as long as the correct people are part of both groups. Having two groups will be an administrative overhead but is the better option if you need to restrict other users in the organisation from access to content. 

Carmel

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer. I think everyone that needs to see it is in the organization. I'll remove the web maps from the group and share with the organization..