transforming GCS_WGS_1984 to GCS_OSGB_1936

Jump to solution
12-20-2017 03:21 AM
NicholasPortnell
New Contributor II

Hello all,

Having recently upgraded Arcmap from V10 to V10.5 my questions are:

1. Does OSGB_1936_To_WGS_1984_7 transformation now work out of the box?

2. Believe this is more accurate than the ....Petroleum transformation we used previously

Map extent whole of UK

I have searched online and have failed to find a definitive answer.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nicholas, 

1984_7 is now included in ArcGIS Desktop since 10.3.1: Improved support for transformations in ArcGIS Online — Esri UK 

It is indeed more accurate than the Petroleum transformation - this is a little outdated but explains a little more: Understanding which Transformation to choose in ArcGIS — Esri UK 

Carmel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

For 10.5.1, check the supported transformations in

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\Documentation\geographic_transformations.pdf 

in the documentation folder.

0 Kudos
NicholasPortnell
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan,

I have read this document, my issue is that the ...1984_7 didn't work out of the box in version 10 and I have been led to believe that it works in v10.5 and as stated in your referenced PDF is more accurate for the whole of the UK. Our ICT Dept have tied down the system pretty well - no tinkering allowed. I can't even navigate onto the C:\ drive.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Nicholas, 

1984_7 is now included in ArcGIS Desktop since 10.3.1: Improved support for transformations in ArcGIS Online — Esri UK 

It is indeed more accurate than the Petroleum transformation - this is a little outdated but explains a little more: Understanding which Transformation to choose in ArcGIS — Esri UK 

Carmel

0 Kudos
NicholasPortnell
New Contributor II

Thanks Carmel