How do I import PDF documents into a story map?

Jump to solution
12-20-2017 07:58 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I want to import a PDF document instead of a photo file or web link in the text of my story map, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Marissa -- The technique Carmel mentioned can work if you really need the PDF to appear in the story. Be aware that you'll need to share the PDF with Everyone to get its public URL to appear on the item page (it'll be at the bottom of the right sidebar).

Adding a PDF to a story map works best in Map Journal (side panel layout) and maybe in a Map Series, but I wouldn't recommend it in most cases for a Cascade story.

In any case, I'd think about whether you really need to have the PDF appear inside the story. If the PDF is a single page or just a few pages, embedding can be ok. But if it's a long report it's almost always a better experience for readers if you describe or discuss the important parts of a PDF in the narrative of your story and then include a hyperlink to it in the text of your story. That way that if people need to view the PDF they can follow the hyperlink to open it in a new browser tab.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marissa, 

A workaround is to add the PDF to your Content, open the new item and use that URL in your Story Map: Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  

Carmel

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Marissa -- The technique Carmel mentioned can work if you really need the PDF to appear in the story. Be aware that you'll need to share the PDF with Everyone to get its public URL to appear on the item page (it'll be at the bottom of the right sidebar).

Adding a PDF to a story map works best in Map Journal (side panel layout) and maybe in a Map Series, but I wouldn't recommend it in most cases for a Cascade story.

In any case, I'd think about whether you really need to have the PDF appear inside the story. If the PDF is a single page or just a few pages, embedding can be ok. But if it's a long report it's almost always a better experience for readers if you describe or discuss the important parts of a PDF in the narrative of your story and then include a hyperlink to it in the text of your story. That way that if people need to view the PDF they can follow the hyperlink to open it in a new browser tab.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Great points, good to know!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you

0 Kudos