Disable the option to open ArcGIS for Desktop

12-19-2017 08:09 AM
GregoryBeswick
New Contributor II

Hi,

I've a got a question about the sharing options in AGOL. I've created a group inside my organisation (I'm the administrator) to share a web map with another member of my organisation. He has a viewer status in the organisation and a member status in the group. He therefore cannot edit the layers in the feature layer folder. However, he has the option to open the feature layer in ArcMap which offers him the possibility to download all the layers on his personnal computer.

I want him to be able to see the web map, but not open the data in ArcMap where he can save the hole content of the feature layer folder.

I've asked the ESRI support of my country about this particular problem and they told me that I should check the parameters of the feature layer, in particula untick the "authorise exportation to different format" box, which was already unticked. I have to say, I'm a bit lost because I tried a lot of parameters (group / feature layer / status of the member) and none seems to be doing the trick. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gregory, 

I've tested your workflow and found that a viewer can indeed export in ArcMap - I don't have a solution for this but perhaps a workaround - is the Feature Layer in question updated often or fairly static? If it's static you could consider publishing it as a Tile Layer and sharing it with your Viewer instead, they can't edit or export it in ArcGIS Online or ArcMap: Publish hosted tile layers from hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  

Carmel

0 Kudos
GregoryBeswick
New Contributor II

Hi Carmel,

Thank you for your help.

The Feature Layer is fairly static but the viewer needs to be able to show or hide the different layers of the web map. If I understand the Tile Layer correctly, that means that I will have to Tile every layers separately in order to give him the option to show or hide the layers. If so, it's a good workaround but only if you don't have many layers.

Isn't there a way to block or hide the option to open the data in ArcGIS for Desktop?

Gregory

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gregory, 

Yes, you would have to create tile layers seperately to allow users to turn them on/off.

I can't find a way to block or hide the option - You said he can download the data to his personal computer, do you mean his own home pc or his work one? Is it a requirement that he has Desktop?

If an answer isn't provided here, it's be worthwhile submitting it as an idea/enhancement request through ArcGIS Ideas - these get implemented frequently

Carmel

0 Kudos
GregoryBeswick
New Contributor II

Hi Carmel,

Well, I was thinking about his work computer (where he has a desktop licence) because I don't think he has an ArcMap licence on his home pc. I know this request is a bit strange. The only purpose of this request is to keep the full property of the data shared on the web map for the group of my organization. I was just suprised that I couldn't find a way to configure my Feature layer (or the group parameters) in order to make it only visible on the web map, while keeping all the features provided by the web map.

Thank you for your time and help.

I will take some time to submit this as an idea on the link provided if there's no way around it. The tile layers is still a good option but I will have nearly a hundred of layers at the end of my project, so It will take quite some time to create the hole web map.

Gregory

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah I see, so you don't want unauthorised versions of the data floating about, makes sense!

Might be worth checking this out too: Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  I haven't tested it though!

Carmel

0 Kudos
GregoryBeswick
New Contributor II

I'll check this feature. Thank you very much!

Gregory

GregoryBeswick
New Contributor II

Hello Carmel,

I've tested both the hosted tile and the hosted feature layer views. Both of them offer the possibility to open the layers in ArcGIS for Desktop for the other member of the group.

I'm back to square one. I still find it a bit strange that you can enable/disable the exportation in different format option from the hosted feature layer (csv, kml, excel etc.), but you can't disable the open in ArcGIS for Desktop button, which means that you can export all the data in every possible format by using Arcmap.

Gregory

AmyKnight
New Contributor III

I also have this question.  I have a hosted feature layer that is shared to a group.  I need to ensure that these group members are able to view the layer in a web map with some ability to query and set symbology but NOT download and export the data to their computers.  I have tested this with the most restrictive settings and find that disabling export, editing, and sync does not prevent a group member from adding the layer to arcmap through AGOL and exporting it to a shapefile.  This is a data security question and frankly pretty confusing since there are these settings in AGOL that would seem to prevent this.  I would appreciate any update to this question.  Thanks-