Labels/halos causing webapp to crash on new IPad?

Jump to solution
12-18-2017 08:29 AM
ScottTreaster
New Contributor II

My AGOL WebApp constantly crashes on our new IPad.  After a little investigation, I have narrowed it down to the labels, or more specifically it seems to be the halo affect on the labels.  If I remove the halo affect, my webapp works properly.  Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DenisKhrustalev
New Contributor

I had the same problem accessing a Webmap and its online Presentation on a variety of different iPads.

After turning off halos, I am able now to use the webmap with no visible problems BUT the presentation is still getting me the same error message "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded." 

Technical support from ESRI informed me about the following bug found:

[BUG-000093906: Web maps that display a hosted feature service including numerous labels with halos are unable to load in iOS devices, and instead, reloads with the error, "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded."]. The bug has been added to development plans in a future release, I was told. 

UPD. After turning off halos, re-saving the webmap, freeing cache and browser history, rebooting the ipads, the Presentation is now working as well!

View solution in original post

16 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you able to share your web map?

What browser are you opening the web map using?

Consider contacting technical support to report the issue or Reporting a bug through this form:

Esri Support Contact Support 

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
ScottTreaster
New Contributor II

I have tried Safari, Chrome, and IE.  Same problem with each browser.  I believe the problem lies with the latest iOS operating system update, as I do not have the problem on any Ipads or Iphones running an older iOS.  As I stated, once I remove my halo affect on the labels, everything works fine no matter the device or browser.

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having this same issue.  I turned off halos on all layers and the maps are displaying properly now.  I need the halos however...especially if I'm using aerial imagery because the black font won't show up very well.  Did you end up finding a fix for this?

0 Kudos
ScottTreaster
New Contributor II

I never really resolved the issue.  I simply removed my halos and changed the labels to a more visible color to work against the aerial imagery.  Not ideal, but worked for the moment and kept our job moving.

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

Ok yeah that's probably what I'm going to have to do too.  Thanks for the quick reply!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey,

What Web App are you using? Would you be able to share it or get in contact with technical support so we can investigate what is causing the crashes?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

Hi Kelly,

Sorry I had notifications turned off for geonet so I just now saw this.  The webapp that was causing the issue is our system viewer on our public website:

ArcGIS Web Application 

The halos were causing the same problem on an internal-use version as well.  I've since turned off halos for both and they're both working fine now.  I'd like to turn them back on though.  Do I need to do that in order for the problem can be investigated?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Dave,

The best option is going to be to get in contact with Technical Support. This way you can work directly with an analyst and enable/disable the halos or create a sample application in order to have the problem investigated. It will be fastest if you give support a call, but feel free to reply here if you need any help getting in contact.

Katie Cullen

Esri Support Contact Support 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DenisKhrustalev
New Contributor

I had the same problem accessing a Webmap and its online Presentation on a variety of different iPads.

After turning off halos, I am able now to use the webmap with no visible problems BUT the presentation is still getting me the same error message "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded." 

Technical support from ESRI informed me about the following bug found:

[BUG-000093906: Web maps that display a hosted feature service including numerous labels with halos are unable to load in iOS devices, and instead, reloads with the error, "A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded."]. The bug has been added to development plans in a future release, I was told. 

UPD. After turning off halos, re-saving the webmap, freeing cache and browser history, rebooting the ipads, the Presentation is now working as well!