Survey123 keep crashing on iphone

Jump to solution
12-15-2017 12:26 PM
Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have updated Survey123 on both my iPhones (iphone 8 and iphone 6). When I attempt to download a survey that is linked to existing feature containing over 2500 features, Survey123 on both iPhones just crashed. However, I have an android that has the version before the latest update, that survey works on this android phone. I do not know if this is phone related but I do not dare to reinstall the latest version on this android in case it is the release that is the problem. Both my iPhones are installed with the latest release.

Is there any other known issues with the latest release and iPhone?

Please advice?

Thank you

Siew Wei

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi SW,

We do have a similar issue reported that is iOS only.  Can you attempt to manually quit Survey123 (double-click on the home button and remove Survey123, if present, from the list of apps running) and restart?  There shouldn't be anything that was done in 2.5 that specifically affected the Inbox functionality to cause the crash.

0 Kudos
Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon.

Manual quit Survey123 and reboot iPhone. Restart Survey123 and when I attempt to open the Inbox (containing 2500 records allowed to return by server) it immediately shut down.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

SW

0 Kudos
Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Hi again,

I did further testing. This time I created another survey against feature service which is published with 500 records allowed to be return by the server (total number of records is 2850). This Survey works! It did not crash on the iPhone. However, the problem is that when I tried to look for assets that was not loaded in the 500 list, I cannot find the asset. When I attempt partial search to return assets starting with certain characters and it should return something, it return no hit. When I tried to 'refresh' the inbox again with the partial search string... It return 'Error code 0'.

☹️. Does this means for survey 123 built against existing feature services, I have to set all records to be returned by the server? The problem is Lists containing >1000 records appear to crash on the iPhone. On the Android, though the 2500 records survey does not crash, it takes far too much time to load or to select another feature.

I then created a 3rd form that allows up to 3000 records to be returned by the server. The survey inbox downloaded 1530/2850 of the records before it subsequently crashed. Initiate Survey123 again, and attempt to open the Inbox, the survey immediately shut down.

It appear there is a limit in the number of records the survey can be brought in using iPhone (?).

Any ideas for me to try something else will be much appreciated. Unfortunately I am on a tight dateline to get the form working before end of coming week .

Thank you again 

SW

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Siew Wei

We are getting a similar issue to yours, except ours is happening on Ipad minis.  Just wondering if you ever found a solution?

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
SterlingLoetz5
New Contributor III

I am experiencing the same issue in iOS. When trying to access the inbox of a hosted feature service the app crashes. (Version 3.0.134).

Any further development on this??

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sterling,

What iOS devices are you using, model and iOS version?

Also, how many records are you trying to query and return via the Inbox?

Phil.

0 Kudos
SterlingLoetz5
New Contributor III

Thanks Philip,

We are using iPhone 7 (iOS 11.4.1). I am trying to view close to 1800 records in the Inbox from the hosted feature service. There is no current query on the Inbox. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sterling,

You need to apply a query to the Inbox with a where clause to ensure you are not trying to return too many records (and hence too much data) for the Inbox to handle. See known issues here: Known issues—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS.

We are working on improving the behaviour and performance of the Inbox which we will aim to release in a future update to the app, however in the mean time you need to apply a query to the Inbox to ensure you are returning an manageable amount of data to the app.

Phil.

SterlingLoetz5
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response Phil.

I think we will need to wait for this update to Survey123 to occur because our field personnel need the ability to see all surveys in the Inbox list and map display. Is there a way to apply a query on the inbox within the app? Or is this only possible within Survey123 Connect?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos