default to multiple choice ticked on

Jump to solution
12-13-2017 01:18 AM
DavidRoberts-Lock1
New Contributor II

is there a way to make the selections of a multiple choice defaulted to being ticked rather than unticked?

thanks in advance for the assistance

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David, 

Are you using Survey123 Connect or the Web Designer to create the survey?

Do you have 'Other' enabled in the survey?

I don't think there's an official way to do it, but here's a possible workaround:

Using Survey123 Connect, you can define the default value of the question to be all the answers, so all the boxes are ticked when the survey is opened. For example, I have a question:

And a corresponding list:

Select Multiple answers are recorded by seperating them by commas. So if I selected all these choices, the answer would be recorded as one,two,three

Using this, I enter these values into the Default column for the question (this uses the list names, not labels): 

And all the choices are selected in the survey:

I don't believe this is possible with the Web Designer because there isn't an option to specify 'Other'.

This will need testing with your data and on devices to make sure it works exactly the way you want!

Carmel

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David, 

Are you using Survey123 Connect or the Web Designer to create the survey?

Do you have 'Other' enabled in the survey?

I don't think there's an official way to do it, but here's a possible workaround:

Using Survey123 Connect, you can define the default value of the question to be all the answers, so all the boxes are ticked when the survey is opened. For example, I have a question:

And a corresponding list:

Select Multiple answers are recorded by seperating them by commas. So if I selected all these choices, the answer would be recorded as one,two,three

Using this, I enter these values into the Default column for the question (this uses the list names, not labels): 

And all the choices are selected in the survey:

I don't believe this is possible with the Web Designer because there isn't an option to specify 'Other'.

This will need testing with your data and on devices to make sure it works exactly the way you want!

Carmel

DavidRoberts-Lock1
New Contributor II

Thank you thats perfect as a workaround!!