Create Elevation Image Service with Multiple Resolutions

12-10-2017 04:32 PM
DanielMcCullock1
New Contributor II

I am currently creating an elevation image service for a large area which consists of 100% coverage of 25m SRTM and approx. 45% coverage of a mixed 1, 2 and 5 metre resolutions derived from stereo and LiDAR. I am creating 17 levels of cache using the ArcGIS Online Elevation schema. The full cache was built whilst only the 25m tiles were in the Mosaic dataset which built 13 levels of cache. After this the higher resolution tiles were added in 100K index blocks and the cache reprocessed using an AOI based on a dissolve of the footprints for the tiles in that block. This then built the remaining 4 levels of cache in that area. I have tried two methods of mosaicking and then caching with both causing rendering errors.

The First method is to have the minPS of the 25m match the maxPS of the higher resolution images. This creates two rendering errors being at the edge of the high resolution data there are massive data gaps because there is no data there at all at those levels. The other error is that within the area that there is data at those levels, when you go close to the ground and look at an angle there is a visible step up in the distance due to the previous level being rendered and it being a significant difference in elevation to the high resolution image.

The second method I tried was to set the minPS to 0 for both the 25 m and the high resolution tiles. This fixed the massive data gap error but still left the rendering error where there is a visible step in the distance.

Has anyone come across this before or can think of a solution to this?

0 Kudos
0 Replies