Las dataset to raster interpolation

12-08-2017 03:41 AM
JaninaBöhnert
New Contributor

Hello,

I am writing my bachelor thesis. It contains a comparison of the different interpolation methods which ArcGIS uses to create surfaces. But there are still two questions left. They relate to the cell assignment type in Binning:

1. Nearest Neighbour: Means nearest all the values within the cell or the cells around the searched cell? Is this the same for IDW? So it also consideres the values around the searched cell, or? 

2. IDW: I read in the manual that the default setting for the power parameter is 2, but you could also change it to another number. The funktion LAS Dataset to Raster does not offer the option to change that value. Does it mean that it always is 2?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MáriaChupáčová
New Contributor

Hi,

I hope that you have your bachelors degree already . Anyways, I've contacted Esri support to ask about parameters used when using IDW interpolation in LAS dataset to raster function. They answered as followes: "When we utilize the IDW Cell Assignment type under binning there is not a search radius applied, and the power used is 1. The reason that a search radius is not applied is due to the fact that with the binning option, only the points within each cell are used to determine the cell value in the output raster.
However, if your customer is using the LAS Dataset to Raster tool to generate a DSM or DTM, I would suggest that they utilize Triangulation with Natural Neighbor as the Interpolation method. The Triangulation interpolation methods derive cell values using a TIN based approach while also offering the opportunity to speed up processing time by thinning the sampling of LAS data using the Window Size technique."

If you by any chance know other way to use IDW interpolation when converting LAS data to raster without using vector representation of LAS data (by this I mean using LAS to multipoint and IDW functions), I will be very grateful for any suggestions.

0 Kudos