showstopping Android bug: can't open surveys anymore

12-11-2017 01:01 AM
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

So here's an absolute showstopper...

When I open Survey123 on Android I can't open any of my surveys. From the "my surveys" screen all the available surveys ar completely unresponsive to touch. When I try to open up a form from a webmap through the url-scheme it just hangs at the "my surveys" screen as well and doesn't open the form.

What I've tried so far to fix this:

• reinitialise the Survey123 database through the app
  • re-download the forms/try out different forms
  • reinstall the app

Specs:

• Android 7.0
  • Samsung Galaxy S6
  • Survey123 2.5.44 for Android

Anyone else have this? Sollutions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BethanyBerry
New Contributor III

Esri Support here-- I haven't heard of others with this exact issue. But I have some follow up questions to help isolate in on the source of the problem:

1) Do you see the issue with all surveys? If you publish a new simple test survey, can you open that one? (This test would then let you know if the issue is with existing surveys, or all surveys)

2) Do you see the issue on multiple devices? 

3) Are your surveys published to Portal for ArcGIS or ArcGIS Online? I'd check to see if your survey items are still available in "My Content" either way.

I hope this helps get you started in finding out where the issue is coming from.

0 Kudos
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III

To answer your questions:

• the issue is with all surveys. I can't open test surveys, I've just made some new ones with the Survey123 online designer as wel as Survey123 Connect, just to test, and both are completely unresponsive.
  • no. We don't have this issue on a Galaxy S5 Mini and neither on iPad.
  • the surveys are published to ArcGIS Online.
  • all forms are available in "My Content"
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Guido,

It sounds like the issues you are having are related to that device specifically. I have tried to replicate your issue using v2.5.44 on similar devices such as Samsung S6 Android 6.01, Samsung S8 Android 7.0, and even older Samsung S3 Android 4.4, however we do not have a Samsung S6 Android 7.0 to match your device.

I am able to search, download and open surveys created in Connect or Web Designer, as well as opening surveys via URL scheme. Also tested surveys with hundreds of questions and other surveys with Inbox enabled, attachments and media folder files etc. The app is working as expected on the above android devices tested. What is the format of the URL scheme you are using to open the survey in the app, and are you passing in any parameters?

Are you signed into the app (AGOL account) with the same user that downloaded the surveys to device? Have you tried to sign out and back in and then open a survey. Alternatively, sign out, close the app fully from recently open menu, restart device and then open the app and sign in again.

If the above does not work, we need to check the following. How much free storage is available? We have seen issues on other devices when the storage is close to being full (<100mb), the app will crash or not respond, along with other apps on the device. What other apps are installed on the device, for instance do you run any special virus apps or encryption apps, MDM profiles etc. Do any other apps on the device have strange behaviour or crash regularly?

As a last resort are you able to hard reset the device and setup the OS and Survey123 app again? If so I would be interested to know if this resolves the issue.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Guidovan_der_Kolk2
New Contributor III
  • I've tried with as much as 2GB of free space and  tried resetting it in all types of manner, apart from a factory reset (that's a bit much for me to test, as I've not heard complaints from our field workers, who mostly use different devices anyway). To free up space I've used Samsung's own file-explorer to clean up files, before I started seeing issues. Could it be it's been cleaning too aggresively and broke something? Would that be fixed by reinstalling Survey123? If so, then that wasn't the issue either.
  • I've tried logging out en in.
  • I don't see any other unstable apps or strange behaviour.
  • As far as MDM/security software. Our organisation uses the following:
    • AirWatch MDM
    • Lookout for Business for anti-virus on mobile
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Guido,

Thanks for the extra information. Was the Survey123 field app working ok on this device before you ran "Samsung's own file-explorer to clean up files". If so, it would appear this tool has corrupted the installation of Survey123 and may have removed required files on the device that are needed. Uninstalling the Survey123 app, restarting the device and then re-installing Survey123 from app store should have resolved the issue however.

Can you uninstall 2.5 again, and try and install the beta 2.7 version from Early Adopter Community - Welcome to our Feedback Community. I would be interested to see if this version works now on that device.

Given it appears the clean up tool you ran has corrupted the installation/device and we are not seeing this issue on other android devices, the best and/or only solution may be to hard reset the device and install Survey123 again.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos