Address locator for entire US?

12-08-2017 07:33 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been taking for granted an entire US address locator we had in house, only to find one day that the reference file is missing.  And I don't know what file it was referencing.  Does anyone have insight into how to get a national street centerline file without having to download every state or county and merge the files? Or other suggestions for geocoding nationally? I have about 20,000 addresses which I imagine would use all of my ArcGIS Online credits.  Many thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

If your organization hordes older ArcGIS distribution install media, you may defer back to the ESRI Maps & Data DVDs which contained a "detailed" street layer for North America and included addresses. It will be old but it won't cost you credits.

Reference link #1

Reference link #2.

Steve

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, Steve!  I found an ArcGIS Data and Maps for 9.3 and for 10.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a detailed streets layer on either of them, only major and minor highways.  I also tried downloading the detailed streets layer in the reference link provided but I can't use a layer or layer package as a reference file in the address locator and when I try exporting it as a shapefile ArcMap stops responding and the export fails.  No success yet, but if you have any tips or tricks I'll gladly take them.  Thanks again.

Lauren

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I spoke too soon!  I found a 'streets' layer in a 10.0 Data and Maps Media Kit.  It is actually stored as an .sdc file.  I was able to create a new address locator for North America, using it as a reference file (it took 4 hours to process, but it got there and works like a charm!)  Thanks for the help!!

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Awesome! It pays to pack rat sometimes.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Haha, and we're a 200 year old organization, so we have some inventory

Thanks again, this saved me!

AdamMilam
New Contributor

Hello, is it possible to share that address locator for North America. My email is amilam@jhsph.edu and I have a dropbox account with the same email. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you want to use the ArcGIS Online World Geocoding service, you can set it up to only access content from North America using a locator view: Geocoding and geosearch—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

The cost to generate locations using the world geocoding service in 40 credits per 1000 locations, so 800 credits for 20,000 stored locations.

-Kelly 

0 Kudos
DanielLing1
New Contributor

Hello lauren, 
May I know where is the 'Streets' layer? I need the layer to create an address locator too. 

thanks

0 Kudos