AnsweredAssumed Answered

How can a layer with no features have too many to draw?

Question asked by kessaturnbull1992 on Dec 6, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 by gannis

I'm creating some new layers from scratch. ArcMap at work runs painfully slowly, so I created blank shapefiles in ArcCatalog and uploaded them to AGOL so I could use the feature templates to create them there. Not because I cared about the template but because as far as I can tell there is no way to simply create a layer from scratch in AGOL. But that's another issue. 

So, the key thing to remember here is there are NO features and the only field is ID. Yet, when I add them to a map to edit, I get the aggravating "was not drawn completely because it has too many features to draw. Try zooming in to a smaller area." error. Some of them I was able to create anyway and just accept not being able to see them in the editable map and have to go back and forth to the non-editable version to verify if they were drawing well (although I could at least see their outlines by selecting them from the attribute table). 

I don't like any of that. But I can live with it. What I can't live with are the last two features which won't let me even begin to draw them because every time I double click it just vanishes! 

So, how can a hosted feature made from a shapefile with no features and no vertices be too big to draw?!

Outcomes