How to update existing features when building Survey123 against existing Feature Services

11-30-2017 05:23 PM
Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

The section in the blog suggest we can update existing features:

For this function to work, one will need to be able to display existing corresponding data when a feature is selected, however, I am unable to get this to work:

And if I submit a survey against this same asset, I end up creating a new feature with the same ASSETNUM. This is not updating existing feature.

I am unable to find information on how I need to design my XLS form built from an existing feature service so that it knows to draw information from existing features once the feature is selected.

Please advice how I can go about setting up this ability. Or at least let me know this is not possible so I can proceed to find alternative way to built my form.

Thank you

SW

7 Replies
MichaelKelly
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Siew,

In order to update records in an existing database, you have to create a Survey123 Form on top of the database, and then enable the Inbox through Survey123 Connect.

Kind regards,

Mikie

Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Ah! THANK YOU Mike! The YouTube was very helpful! I missed the part to download the asset information from the Inbox on the mobile app. This is great! Thanks much!

I further tested manipulating the domain. Adding new values to an existing domain is straightforward. However, it is not as simple to add a new domain to an existing non-domained field (?). When I set select_one function on one of the field that did not have domain option, the survey works as expected and I am able to republish with the new 'domain'.

However, when I check the feature service layer itself, the domain option did not come through:

What will be the work flow to add new domain to an existing feature service which Survey123 built on?

Thank you much!

SW

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi SW,

When using an existing feature service, Survey123 does not alter the service in any way- the domains should be set on the feature class before publishing.  Survey123 will then read those domains automatically.

Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Thank you James. Will ensure relevant fields are domain-ed before publishing and building a Survey on top of it.

Regards

SW

0 Kudos
Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Hi Michael,

I have managed to grab the data from feature services to be shown after the asset is downloaded in the Inbox. However, I am not able to grab the data from relate tables. In short, data from layer 0 can be displayed without issue, but not data from layer 1.

How can I get the data from relate table to show on Survey123 (under the repeats)

Thank you

SW

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Siew,

Have you specified "query" in the bind::esri:parameters column against the begin_repeat to enable related records in Inbox? By default, no related records are downloaded with the survey responses via the InboxIf you want to allow adds or updates you will also need to specify the correct parameter. More information can be found here: Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Siew_WeiGoh2
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the pointers .

Cheers

SW