Is there a way to replicate the functionality of dynamic queries in ArcGIS?

11-30-2017 09:33 AM
DustinBrocato1
New Contributor

In Geomedia, we make extensive use of dynamically querying data, i.e. query display is update when the base feature is modified. I'm wondering if there is a way to replicate this functionality within ArcMap 10.4, as opposed to running a tool and creating a new feature class?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dustin

If you are referring to the display of features, then you can create a definition query for each feature layer to determine which features appear on a map.

Displaying a subset of features in a layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
DustinBrocato1
New Contributor

Not quite, Bo. For instance, I have an AOI defined by an area feature. Within the AOI, there are other features that are manually manipulated in our workflow. Human error is introduced, leaving snippets of lines or areas that extend slightly past the AOI area feature boundary.

Currently in Geomedia, we have a query that flags these snippets. When the user fixes the snippet, the 'flag' in the query goes away dynamically. On the flip side, if you create a snippet, it is flagged by the query.

To my limited understanding, to replicate this in ArcMap, I would need to:

1. Run a tool to identify these snippets. 
  2. Que through the result and fix errors.
  3. Run the tool again to make sure all have been fixed.

Is there another method ArcMap that would be more efficient?

0 Kudos
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Dustin

You’ve described the method I would use to find the features extending outside the AOI.  Specifically, I would use the Select by Location and Browse Features tools to find and correct these errors. 

Select by Location

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.4/map/working-with-layers/using-select-by-location.htm

Browse Features

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/extensions/data-reviewer/a-quick-tour-of-data-reviewer.h...

AdamPadilla
New Contributor II

Hi Dustin,

I used GeoMedia for many years, now I have to use ArcMap. Unfortunately, I not found any way to have dynamic queries in ArcMap, everything is static and outputs to a shapefile or feature class. My favorite was the buffer query for spacing requirements.

0 Kudos