AnsweredAssumed Answered

Automated named user login for agol hosted feature layer

Question asked by Egerle on Nov 30, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2018 by michaellodes

Hi,

i got some questions regarding automated user login for non publicly shared content in agol. To be more precise the users should be able to load and edit a feature layer (portable item) hosted on arc gis online without having to fill in their username and password for the account. 

After reading many guides and threads in this forum it seems to me as if its not possible to do this with app login. 

Limitations of App Login

App login comes with several built-in limitations:

• Tokens obtained by applications can only read public content and services. Although you cannot use an App login with private content, if your goal is to distribute or sell an app to organizations without ArcGIS Online (no named users), you may control access to your content by using your own login mechanism (I.e. Identity) to the app.
  • Tokens obtained by applications may read premium content and services hosted by Esri and consume credits on behalf of the application organization.
  • Applications cannot create, update, share, modify, or delete items (layers, files, services, maps) in ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
  • Applications built using app login cannot be listed in the ArcGIS Marketplace.

So what is the best approach to do this? Is there for example a way to do the named user login but without the individual user having to fill out the form every time he uses the app?

Outcomes