when trying to run field calculator I get 000405 : No records within table.

11-30-2017 10:19 AM
Labels (1)
JulieThompson
New Contributor

In the past I have been able to add a field to an attribute table for a shapefile line and then use the field calculator to calculate the area of that line using the width field (manually entered width) i have in my tables and the length field that is calculated with the calculate geometry tool.

Now when i try to use the field calculator I get no result showing and the warning in the geoprocessing result message that gives me this warning.   000405 : No records within table.

I do have xtools free version in arcmap but have previously had this as well with no errors.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

not clear... lines don't have area.  Is this a double type field you added? and did you use the shape's length to get the length?

Perhaps you could show the properties of the table's field and the field calculator expression you used.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like Julie has a width field for what ever type of feature she's modeling; roads, sidewalks, streams etc have widths but are a polyline feature.  Agreed; more details can help solve this one...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ahh.. just hope that the coordinates are in the same units as the width field

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Good catch- hadn't thought of that!

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos