How to transform the x,y coordinates from decimal degrees to meters?

Jump to solution
11-30-2017 09:47 AM
GB
by
New Contributor

Hi! I have a list of points in a excel file with the x,y coordinates in the Decimal Degree format. I would like to import these points in a project in ArcGIS where everything is projected in ED_1950_UTM_Zone_32N (Projected Coordinate System). I can I import by Conversion Tools/Excel/Excel to table, then I can visualize data in: Add Data/Add XY Data, but, of course I cannot put as Coordinate System of the input data ED_1950_UTM_Zone_32N, as, the original excel file contains coordinates in decimal degrees, while in my project in arcgis I have meters as units. How can I solve it? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to save the event layer as a featureclass or a shapefile.  Then you have to define its projection as a Geographic Coordinate system (probably GCS WGS84).  And from there, you can use the Project tool to project it to a new file in your desired projection, or simply leave it alone and just remember that that one file has a different coordinate system.  As long as all files have a defined coordinate system, they will all project-on-the-fly to the coordinate system of the data frame

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to save the event layer as a featureclass or a shapefile.  Then you have to define its projection as a Geographic Coordinate system (probably GCS WGS84).  And from there, you can use the Project tool to project it to a new file in your desired projection, or simply leave it alone and just remember that that one file has a different coordinate system.  As long as all files have a defined coordinate system, they will all project-on-the-fly to the coordinate system of the data frame

GB
by
New Contributor

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

GB, could you close the thread so that people know that an answer was obtained. It will otherwise remain open until the owners of the space get around to it

0 Kudos