Is AGSFeatureLayer.selectionSymbol completely removed from SDK 100.x? How can I create a solid selection border?

11-30-2017 05:31 AM
SvenAanesen
New Contributor II

In 10.2.5 I was able to create a FeatureLayer with a selectionSymbol which made it possible to create a solid thick border on the selected feature. In version 100.x I'm only able to set .selectionColor and .selectionWidth.

How can I create the selection effect I want in 100.x?

My users should be able to pick multiple existing features and create a new one based on the selected ones. While selecting it is important that the users see the selections clearly.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkDostal
Esri Contributor

Thank you for your question!  With the current API, you are able to create a thick border around a feature.  Here's the same symbol, one unselected and one selected with the selectionColor = .black and the selectionWidth = 2.0.

If that's not what you need, what selection effect are you looking for?

Thank you,

Mark

0 Kudos
SvenAanesen
New Contributor II

Thank you for your respons. What I'm looking for selection that changes the polygon completely. Most importantly a clear and solid border, not a faded one like the selectionColor and width creates now. Previous SDK version had selectionSymbol, but it seams to be gone?

0 Kudos
MarkDostal
Esri Contributor

Yes, the selectionSymbol property has been removed, in favor of the selectionColor and selectionWidth.  

As a work around, one possibility to get the result you desire is to add a GraphicsOverlay to the map to handle the selection.  When the user selects a feature, a graphic is added to the overlay with the same geometry as the selected feature and a custom symbol.  Clearing the "selection" is just a matter of removing the graphic from the overlay.

// create the overlay

let selectionOverlay = AGSGraphicsOverlay()

//add the overlay to a mapView

mapView.graphicsOverlays.add(selectionOverlay)

//In the selection code (in my case it's the geoView.identifyLayers completion handler)

//create your custom symbol

let symbol = AGSSimpleMarkerSymbol(style: .circle, color: .red, size: 12.0)

//"unselect" all features
self?.selectionOverlay.graphics.removeAllObjects()

//loop through selected geoElements
for geoElement in geoElements {

//create the graphic with the geoElement's geometry and our selection symbol

let graphic = AGSGraphic(geometry: geoElement.geometry, symbol: symbol, attributes: nil)

//add the graphic to our selection overlay
   self?.selectionOverlay.graphics.add(graphic)

}

Let me know how this works for you.

Mark

0 Kudos
SvenAanesen
New Contributor II

Thanks, this works. I have already implemented a similar approach. Just would wish that .selectionSymbol wasn't removed, when this would be a much simpler approach...

0 Kudos