How to I create a survey that can be done in the field using ArcGIS Online?

11-29-2017 12:21 PM
Katie_RoseLevin
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a map using ArcGIS Online that I can use to survey/edit tree points in the field. Is it possible to do this utilizing ArcGIS Online with Collector or Survey123 as the field app, or do I have to purchase the ArcGIS desktop program to create edible layers then upload them into the collector or online programs?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Greg_Mattis
Occasional Contributor II

You can use Collector for ArcGIS or Survey123 with using a paid subscription to ArcGIS Online with you using a Level 2 Named User. You do not need to have ArcGIS Desktop. ArcGIS Desktop helps author features for data collection but it isn't required. You would just sign into the app with your user name and password.

Greg Mattis, GISP
GIS Analyst
City of Visalia
0 Kudos
Katie_RoseLevin
New Contributor II

Thanks! My challenge is that it will not show my layer in Collector

I had a previous survey that I uploaded into ArcGIS Online as a "Tree Inventory.csv", converted to a layer, then created a map with it. When I try to make it into a data map application, it says that layer is not editable.

The Tree Inventory layer also will not show up in collector as an editable layer. I do not see an option to make it editable under content.  Is there something I am missing?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Katie,

Can you go into Settings and check on Enable Editing?

0 Kudos