Unable to allocate memory bug?

11-27-2017 07:08 PM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I am using the latest version of arcgis pro and am attempting to reclassify a 2 meter, 32 bit, thematic raster with 3800 records and 15 classes. I am getting an error that suggests that there is not enough available memory.

ERROR 010005: Unable to allocate memory.
Failed to execute (Reclassify).

I have 32 GB or ram and no other resource heavy programs running.

I am able to reclassify other rasters in the same project that have more records and higher resolutions. What can I do to troubleshoot this particular raster?

b

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Error 010005.... the message is even in the Pro help, meaning that it has been seen and possible.  The options are to use a larger cell size and or partition your data.  Maybe not what you want to hear, but it is worth a test of whatever if palatable for your workflow.  I have also seen references not specific to Pro that point the finger at a variety of things such as running anything other pro/map (even browsers which can suck huges amount given the chance) and complex/convoluted file paths.

Good luck... tile/parse in half would be the quick check to see if it is indeed memory (run Resource Monitor to see what is actually being used prior to, and during a run)

0 Kudos
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan. I think the issue had to do with the field being text rather than numeric, though I do not understand why this should cause trouble. I created a new field and assigned numeric values to use instead of the text classes and then reclassified on that field and it worked. Is this just the way it works? I could have sworn that I have reclassified on text fields in the past... Does it take less resources to reclassify numeric fields than text fields? 

b

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Only conjecture, but it may be holding the text version in memory as well as a conversion to numeric before the actual reclassification begins.

0 Kudos