Survey 123 Dynamic Questions and Related Table

11-22-2017 04:43 PM
CallumSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Hi does anyone know if this is possible in Survey 123?

Say I have a survey with a "select_one" question that presents the user with a number of options. Depending on what option the user selects they will be presented with a number of Y/N questions. These questions will be different depending on the option and the number of questions can vary as well but they are always Y/N answers. In my scenario there are hundreds of Y/N questions but they will all not be necessarily be answered (depending on the select_one option)

i.e.

• select_one Option 1
    • Question 1 Y/N
    • Question 2 Y/N
  • select_one Option 2
    • Question 1 Y/N
    • Question 2 Y/N
    • Question 3 Y/N
    • Question 4 Y/N
  • select_one Option 3
    • Question 1 Y/N
    • Question 2 Y/N
    • Question 3 Y/N

I know that the display of the questions can be achieved using the "relevant" column and I understand the notion of "repeats" but I want to write the question text and the answer to a related table rather than configuring a flat feature class with hundreds of columns for all the different questions as this leads to a lot of redundancy and blows out the limitations of the feature class.

Hope this explanation is clear?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Callum

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You should be able to use groups with a nested repeat that has the Relevant column controlling when they are displayed for answers based on previous questions.

So, let's say that your Option 1, 2, & 3 are a series of questions that you want a related table for each series.

Main Question that is a select one with answers 'Option 1', 'Option 2', and 'Option 3'

Begin Group Option1    Relevant Column equals ${Main Question}=Option 1

Begin Repeat Option1

Question 1

Question 2

End Repeat Option1

End Group Option1

Begin Group Option2    Relevant Column equals ${Main Question}='Option 2'

Begin Repeat Option2

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

End Repeat Option2

End Group Option2

Begin Group Option3     Relevant Column equals ${Main Question}='Option 3'

Begin Repeat Option3

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

End Repeat Option3

End Group Option3

You'll have to play around with the structure to match your question setup, but that should do what you want in terms of writing each group to a related table.

Cheers!

Mike

0 Kudos
CallumSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mike for that. With your approach would each question be a record in the related table? or would there be 3 related tables with multiple columns depending on the number of questions? I am trying to get a solution with 1 related table and each question is a record in that table..

cheers

Callum

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The above approach would add three related tables that would be named "Option1", "Option2", and "Option3" and have each of the questions within them.

However, I think what you are looking for would be something like this -

Begin Repeat Name of Related Table

Starting Main Question (The answer to this select one will dictate which Option question set is exposed)

Begin Group Option1    Relevant Column equals ${Main Question}=Option 1

Question 1

Question 2

End Group Option1

Begin Group Option2    Relevant Column equals ${Main Question}='Option 2'

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

End Group Option2

Begin Group Option3     Relevant Column equals ${Main Question}='Option 3'

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

End Group Option3

End Repeat Name of Related Table

This should give you all of the questions within one related table and the ability to expose only the question groups that you want to expose.

Mike

0 Kudos
CallumSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mike I will have a play around with your ideas and see if I can get it to work the way I want.

Will let you know how I get on

cheers

Callum

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No worries. I use this in a similar manner for one of our endangered bat surveys. We capture bats with poles that have a net between them and then record some vital measurements from the bat. If it is a bat of interest, then we place a small transmitter on it's back to perform some radio telemetry tracking to find it's potential roost trees. So, I have the transmitter questions hidden until they select "Yes" for are you going to track the bat?

In my survey, I have a "bat capture" form with multiple groups inside of a related table that are exposed depending upon answers from select_one questions. So, I think this method should help you out.

If you need some help with the xlsx form structure, then put something together and I can take a look at it.

Mike

0 Kudos
CallumSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike

I've played around with you suggestions and I don't think it is possible to achieve what I want.

I want my related table to look like this:

QuestionAnswer
Is it corroded?Y
Is it underground?N
Is it broken?N
Does it need maintenance?Y

So depending on what is selected in the main question the user will get presented with a number of questions. Then the questions and the answer for these will be populated in a related table linked back to the featureclass which will have the main question.

I think this may be a "Bridge to Far" with Survey 123 at the moment?

cheers

Callum

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Callum,

I don't think this is necessarily outside of what can be done with Survey123.  One thing I'm not clear on:

- When you say you want the questions to be in a related table, are you specifying one related table per group of questions (as Mike showed above) or one related table with all of the additional questions?  If the latter, that can be done with one repeat section and multiple groups that have the different relevant statements inside it.

0 Kudos
CallumSmith2
Occasional Contributor

Hi James

Yes I want 1 related table with all of the additional questions. I don't want the related table to have a column for every question the related table should have only two columns "Question" and "Answer". The answers are either Y/N or Maybe. My survey has hundreds of questions so rather than having hundreds of columns I would rather have hundreds of records in a related table. If you think this is possible I would appreciate a small example?

cheers

Callum

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Ah, thanks- I hadn't quite caught that you wanted the table normalized to that degree.  You're right, at this point Survey123 can't quite handle that structure; I'm not sure the XLSForm standard can completely support this - in particular, getting the label of the question to stored into a field would be challenging (I don't know of anything within the XLSForm specification that could get the label of a question, though there might be an alternative lookup mechanism that could be implemented).

0 Kudos