I have been running ArcGIS 10 (single user license) for many years. Recently I had a Windows 10 update and now when I start my ArcMap 10 I get a message "The ArcView license is in need of a repair operation". How do I repair my ArcView license?

11-21-2017 12:48 PM
WesJohnson
New Contributor

I have been running ArcGIS 10 (single user license) for many years. Recently I had a Windows 10 update and now when I start my ArcMap 10 I get a message "The ArcView license is in need of a repair operation". How do I repair my ArcView license?

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it seems to be an issue for some installations, a windows update issue can easily be fixed if you go to your control panel and install/uninstall programs, then select repair.  Life may return to normal at that point.  

If the problem reoccurs (which it may), then you need to go beyond the simple repair problem and report back with more detailed information about virus protection and myriad of other things.  Try the repair first.  I have a parallel report on a similar issue but it is tied into ArcMap AND ArcGIS Pro.  Certain dll's are being reduced to 0 bytes 

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\bin\aibase.dll   and aifeat.dll

If these files are 0 bytes in size, report that and I will pass this thread on to the people monitoring 'my parallel report'

Good luck

PS

deleting your application profile and the standard stuff does diddly... although it may solve other issues, so you might want to do that just to feel like you went the extra mile

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If at all possible, you really should get upgraded to a version that at least isn't retired as v 10.0 is...

Esri Support 10.0 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could repair the license using ArcGIS Administrator.

See this article FAQ: Is Windows 10 certified with Esri's ArcGIS products? if it works for you.

Think Location
0 Kudos
WesJohnson
New Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.  So far I am still unable to run ArcMap.  When I open the ArcGIS Administrator it shows that my ArcView is "untrusted" in the Authorized column and in the Expires column is shows "N/A"  Previously the Authorized column was listed as "Yes" and the Expires column was "permanent".  Any ideas on correcting this issue?

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

A simple two step process.

1. You need to attempt to Deauthorize your FNP Trusted Storage cache. That will protect your ESU Authorization and allow you to reuse it without hassle of contacting a CSR.

The tool you'll need is the ArcGIS_Deauthorization_Tool linked from this tech support article:

How To: Deauthorize ArcGIS Desktop and Engine Single Use licenses after uninstalling the software 

Be sure no AppROT or ArcGIS services are running, check in Task Manager and stop them if present.

Running the utility installs the FNP licensing service, reads the FlexNet Publisher "Trusted Storage" cache at C:\ProgramData\FlexNet reporting any still valid authorizations, returns them all, and then uninstalls the FNP licensing service.

2. Second step is to open the FNP cache folder and delete any "residual"--any ArcGIS_*.tsf.data or ArcGIS_*.tsf.data_backup.001 and possibly some logs. Be careful here as other applications also hold authorizations in this cache--clean out only the ArcGIS related contents.

At this point I normally reboot the system.

Then run ArcGIS Administrator and if all went well with the deauthorization you should be able to reuse your current ESU123456789 authorization code, and the ESU codes for any extensions.   But if the softwareauthorization.exe -return all portion of the script failed--and the ESU codes are not "rearmed" you will need to contact your CSR to have that done or new authorization codes generated.

Let us know how you make out.

Stuart