Zoning map

11-18-2017 09:13 PM
MichaelFettkether
New Contributor

Hello everyone!

I’m brand new at this stuff and having some difficulty on where to begin. I have gone through several tutorials and currently looking to get started on my first map.  I would like to begin with a zoning map of our city.  All I have is an old paper copy of the map.  I will need to create everything myself.  I was thinking I needed to create a feature class and define my zones (R1 R2 C1 etc..) then sketch my zones over the default street map. But I keep wondering if it is better to start with something someone else has? I mean I cannot be the first person to do this, so does anyone have an example, or recommendations on fields I should add/include? 

ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Before you start doing 'stuff' I would examine what has gone on before by doing some basic background

Local government tips  I would caution against he urge to start digitizing your boundaries and trying to classifiy things without have a coherent structure or 'template' to organize your attributes and geometry.  Your local esri rep can help in this regard