ArcGIS Desktop 103 stuck at writing registry

11-17-2017 09:16 AM
DillonDeduonni
New Contributor

I am attempting to install ArcGIS Desktop 103 145699 to a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

When I install the software(logged into a Administrator account) on the laptop, clicking through until the installation process starts, at the "end" of the process the installation gets stuck on writing registry files over and over and over again.

The files include: 

key: \software\classes\clsid\...
key: \software\classes\esrieditortxt\...

I have attempted a previous fix found via this fourm:

Installation stuck on writing registry, over and over and over,

Fix found on website: https://community.esri.com/thread/81955
1. In Windows, click Start > Run.
2. In the Run window, type 'regedit'.
3. In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control

4. In the Registry Editor dialog box, double-click RegistrySizeLimit. This opens the Edit DWORD Value dialog box.

If unable to find the RegistrySizeLimit key in the above path, click Edit > Find and search for RegistrySizeLimit.

If still unable to find the RegistrySizeLimit key, then create the key using the following steps:
a. Create the key by Right-Click > New > DWORD (32 or 64 â??bit) Value.
b. Enter ffffffff as the 'Hexadecimal' value. Click the Decimal radio button
c. Enter 4294967295 as the Decimal value.
d. Select OK

Restarted laptop > restarted installation > stuck at the same place.

I would appreciate any feedback or tips that you can provide on this issue,

Dillon 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DillonDeduonni
New Contributor

Hello All,

I attempted an installation again on this computer, logged in as local admin account > Run program installer as admin > still stuck at registry writing

I would very much appreciate any information/tips/tricks that I could try to get this application installed successfully.

Thanks you in advance,

Dillon

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having exactly the same issue on an install of 10.2.1 on Windows 7. It has supposedly been writing the system registry values for about an hour! Not tried the registry size fix yet. Did you ever get yours installed?

0 Kudos
GarethBaker1
Occasional Contributor III

I found that pressing cancel on the installation and then saying no when asked if you're sure that you want to cancel brought it back to life and the progress bar actually started moving. This was after having left it for at least an hour and a half so will try that trick sooner if it happens again.

0 Kudos