I'm trying to convert a raster reclass to a polygon and can't figure out why the conversion won't work. When I try using the "Raster to Polygon" tool I get bogus results (see images below). Any ideas?

Jump to solution
11-17-2017 08:25 AM
Travis_Meyer
New Contributor

The area in bright green is the vegetation that I'm trying to convert from raster to polygon (Value = 1 for green area, Value = 0 for no color area). I performed a simple unsupervised classification, reclassified into binary format based on a 1 = what I want, 0 = not what I want, then attempted to convert the resulting raster to polygon. 

Classified raster area (value = 1 in green, value = 0 no color)

Below is the result I get in polygon format, which doesn't even come close to resembling the green area in the image above.

Results after using the Raster to Polygon tool with "Value" as input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It is a little difficult to see from the screenshots you attached (next time just paste the original size, it will show small but allows access to the detailed image), but if yo uhave 0 and 1 values, both will be converted to polygons. If you are only interested in the 1's (vegetation) first use Set Null—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to set the 0 value to NoData.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
XanderBakker

It is a little difficult to see from the screenshots you attached (next time just paste the original size, it will show small but allows access to the detailed image), but if yo uhave 0 and 1 values, both will be converted to polygons. If you are only interested in the 1's (vegetation) first use Set Null—Help | ArcGIS Desktop to set the 0 value to NoData.

XanderBakker

Yo may also want to read this help topic to generalize the data before converting to polygons: Generalizing zones with Nibble, Shrink, and Expand—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

RasterToPolygon only uses the first band from a multiband raster. It looks like you have a 3 band raster.

Travis_Meyer
New Contributor

This worked like a charm. Thanks Xander!

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Glad it worked!

0 Kudos