Catalog of ArcGIS Pro doesn’t show the coordinate system of the feature class,

Jump to solution
11-17-2017 03:43 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Catalog of ArcGIS Pro doesn’t show the coordinate system of the feature class,

Considering the fact that the Catalog of ArcGIS Pro doesn’t show the coordinate system of the feature class, does this mean that we need to add the feature class to a map in order to recognize its coordinate system?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
14 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You could right click on the feature class in the Catalog Pane and select "View Metadata"  Inside the Metadata, go to the Spatial Reference section and there you will see it without adding it to a new Map View.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Robert.

Not sure but I found nothing related to spatial reference in the metadata as shown in the screenshot below

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you have to scroll a bit

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Dan,

My issue here is how to recognize the coordinate system of a feature class from the Catalog Pane but not while we are working in the Content Pane.

Correct, the Content pane does show the coordinate system but this means that I need to add the feature class to Map just to check its coordinate system

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have a weak metadata setup

go to the Options pane and set one, so when you explore 'Metadata' in catalog all will be revealed.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you want to explore the coordinate systems of the layer in your map you should use the Map properties windo, select "Coordinate Systems" and expand "Layers" to see what coordinate systems are in use by which layers.

(just like you are probably used to do with the data frame properties window in ArcMap)

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

It appears that there is no simple way to approach to recognize the coordinate system of a particular layer straightaway from the Catalog in Pro as it is available in ArcMap (all can be found by right clicking the layer)

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Choose the FGDC metadata option... your option selection is not very good, nor is having a file with an unknown coordinate system

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Not sure why should I experience all of this just to recognize the coordinate system of a feature class. I think this should be made straightforward as in ArcMap

Jamal Numan