Error Publishing GPService with name exceeding 19 characters

Jump to solution
11-15-2017 02:22 PM
RobertYarbrough
New Contributor III

I'm having a problem publishing a geoprocessing service in which the name exceeds 19 characters on ArcGIS Server 10.5.1.  The service will stage and I can build a service definition just fine, but when I go to publish it, if the name of the service exceeds 19 characters, the publish will fail.  I've gone as far as to strip everything out of the python script the service calls, it still fails if the name is too long.

I have instances that I've upgraded from 10.3.1 to 10.5.1 and the service in question exists on an upgraded 10.5.1 server, but I cannot create the service on a fresh install.

Any ideas on how to make this work would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are the config-store and directories paths in a similar path, (for example C:\arcgisserver\... on each site)? What are the errors in the logs?  Is this on Windows or Linux?  Since this points to some type of pathing issue, you can try to run ProcMon and filter for any file activity from the Server processes to determine if there's a write or read failure due to the path being too long, as the limit is 260 characters.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm not sure if this will help as a work around, but there is a tool that will let you copy a service from one AGS install to another.  It doesn't work for all types, but I have got it to work for many of our services (although just trial runs/tests, not production yet).  I also modified our copy of the tool for our purposes. 

Check out this thread if interested.

https://community.esri.com/message/647870-re-movecopy-services-to-another-service-directory 

0 Kudos
RobertYarbrough
New Contributor III

I should note that I have a workaround of sorts, I can publish the service with a shorter name then rename it.  The process seems to fail, but it looks like the service gets renamed.  I'd rather not have to do this, but I don't see any setting anywhere that would limit the name size of a service.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Are the config-store and directories paths in a similar path, (for example C:\arcgisserver\... on each site)? What are the errors in the logs?  Is this on Windows or Linux?  Since this points to some type of pathing issue, you can try to run ProcMon and filter for any file activity from the Server processes to determine if there's a write or read failure due to the path being too long, as the limit is 260 characters.

RobertYarbrough
New Contributor III

Hmm... the config stores are in similar paths, but the new one is a bit longer.  I'll try this with a shorter path name on the config store directory.  

Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
RobertYarbrough
New Contributor III

I rebuilt the site using a shorter path name, and publishing the service worked just fine with the longer name.  

Thanks again!

RobertYarbrough
New Contributor III

It seems I spoke too soon... I can rename the service, but after it is renamed, it won't start.  I get the following error message when trying to start the service.

Service failed to start
TestLongServiceNameFail.GPServer: java.rmi.UnmarshalException: Error unmarshaling return header; nested exception is: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

0 Kudos