How can I reduce the size of an exported KML file?

11-13-2017 05:39 AM
AlexNiedra
New Contributor II

I've created an online map containing drive-time layers across approximately 20 locations in Eastern Canada. I'm finding that when I go to download this file as a KML, it's size (approx. 40MB) is far too big for me to handle for my purposes. I'm looking for a way to compress the file significantly - one thing I'd like to find out is if it's possible to reduce the accuracy of the drive-time map (i.e. round off the layer boundaries to reduce the file data required), but all methods of compression/file size reduction are welcome.

Your input is appreciated. Right now this is the single obstacle preventing me from using the output file.

Thank you in advance,

Alex

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Map to KML has some tips

You can reduce the size of the output KMZ document if your map has scale-dependent layer display properties and you choose an appropriate map output scale.

• All KML and KMZ files are created in the WGS84 coordinate system. You need to be sure your layers will properly project if they aren't already in WGS84. You can use the Project tool to reproject your data prior to KML conversion if your projection requires a transformation.

• To output a single raster image draped over topography, use the Return single composite image option.

• To output every layer as a separate raster image, use the Convert Vector to Raster option.

And I assume you got your guidance and background info from here.....

AlexNiedra
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help. I am using ArcGIS Online - it appears the links above pertain to ArcGIS Desktop. Is that correct? I'm not sure if the same functionality is available on ArcGIS Online.

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I assumed erroneously that you were trying to prepare kml files for use in AGOL... sorry

0 Kudos
AlexNiedra
New Contributor II

No worries, Dan.

This puts this question back on the table - any way to accomplish this on ArcGIS online?

Thank you for your help.

Alex

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry, I don't make stuff in AGOL, but there is the 10mb file limit as listed here.  You might want to go through and prune out some of the non-critical stuff before using an uncompressed kml or a compressed kmz

0 Kudos